1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDRs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, May 9, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

um, you won't be looking at her much over the phone. or you can look if you get a webcame but not touch.

i have little experience with LDRs. my wife and i once spent six months apart before we were married. it didn't go well but we stuck it out and got married about two years after that long distance stint.

a lot of people i knew in LDRs end up splitting once they finally live in the same place. it seems like it's an entirely new relationship once you end the long distance aspect.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

This happened to my brother. They were together a few years, apart a few years for school, then couldn't stand each other when they finally did live in the same place again.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My advice FWIW, (I've been in a similar situation)

NYC to: CT, NJ, PA, upstate= a doable situation

NYC to: Chicago, Atlanta, Cali= tough to do.

You can do all the talking on the phone and texting and whatever you want, but at somepoint, you or her will become lonely and start looking at other people.....and that's when the break-up occurs.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was in the Midwest and my girlfriend (now wife) was in Florida and we dated that way for over a year. Cheap fares on Southwest helped. So did having another girlfriend for the first few months. Alas, I gave her up when I started to figure out that I wanted to marry the other one.

Having a conscience sucks.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

You're probably a better man for breaking it off w/ #2. How did you reconcile that, and does the missus know?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A hooker? Jesus, I forgot! I just thought I was doing GREAT with you!

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

OK, just a little update: I've already grown weary of the girl. The majority of the "conversations" we have usually end up being NSFW and I'm finding it harder and harder to have in-depth convos about other things. So of course, I want to put a stop to this. The only thing is, since I'm a Catholic, my strongest sense is guilt, and even though I don't have any real emotional attachment to her, I don't like the idea of her being hurt in case she sadly has developed an attachment to me. What should I do to end this without coming off like a jerk?

PS - I realize we'll probably never meet, but I believe God has a nasty sense of irony and if I just drop her like a bad habit, something shitty will probably end up biting me on the ass in the future.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Guilt is overrated. Just be polite and get on with it.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If its 3,000 miles and she just moved there- it's not a relationship or she's not an amazing girl - I hope for the best for you, hell I'd move to San Diego for a lot crappier reasons... go for it.

Did I log on to the Dr. Laura site by mistake?

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Dude, if you're not feeling it, dump her. Dragging it out is a shitty thing to do to a girl.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

tell her you just realized you're gay and the thought of having sex with her repulses you. that should do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted