1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LDRs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, May 9, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I just got into this relationship with a really amazing girl, but there's one teensy little problem: I'm nearby NYC and she just moved to San Diego. Bit of a problem there, which isn't helped by the fact that neither of us have much money. Have any of you been in a long-distance relationship (LDR) before? How do you cope in such a situation? Any help you kind sirs & madames can offer would be greatly appreciated.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dude, there are LDRs that are workable and then there's an NYC-San Diego one. If you aren't close enough to drive it every few weeks, or afford to fly it, then it won't work.

3. Be friends for now. Maybe circumstances later on will allow you to be more.

4. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Chase her. Chase her hard.

5. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

I've been involved in one, but nothing like New York to San Diego. My sympathies--that's tough, dude. One thing we did when I was in a LDR was that we met at the halfway point as often as possible ... which, in your case, would be like, what ... Chicago?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd recommend phone sex, but you better get a really good calling plan.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Or get VOIP, so it'd be all covered on a flat rate.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good idea. I think the phone company still charges a full minute for a call that may last only 8 seconds.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Well that would work for one board member......

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've had them before; some worked, some didn't.
    The last one I had, I was sick of only seeing each other four to six times a year. When I got the job opp to be closer to her, I took it. The paper folded and I've been doing freelance work since, but we're together.
    With a long-term relationship, you have to look at long-term prospects.
    If all you want is to see each other once or twice a year and have stoob-like sex, as long as you're both cool with it fine.
    If you can only see each other once or twice a year and you want more out of life, well, you need to think long about what you are getting into...

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Ask her to think about you when she has sex with other men.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted