1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LcoalSports Talk Radio Who do you like and who do you hate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ned racine, May 27, 2008.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

All the local talk show folks in this market (a metro population of mor than 1 million) suck so bad that you've never heard of them.

2. digger

digger New Member

I like Benigno and Roberts, except recently when they went crazy over the mets. Benigno as the long-suffering Jets fan is awesome, he speaks for me.
    Roberts, for a young guy, is very good. He doesn't go crazy like so many (russo and francesca) seem to think is the way to get people to listen. Very reasonable, and you can tell he loves sports and does his homework (same with Joe). They make a good team.

Russo and Francessa suck. Russo can't speak english, and often doesn't seem to know what he's talking about. Francessa is just a bully who gets by on his intelligence without doing his homework most of the time. I can picture him just sitting back and pointificating, believing he's right because, well, he's FRANCESSA. You can tell he's smart, but he still comes across too much as if he's a jerk. Their recent focus on Willie Randolph and the Mets - Willie couldn't do anything right - was impossible to listen to. At the same time, the Yankees were in the same spot or worse, and it wasn't even brought up (and they wouldn't take yankee calls). And who the hell wants to listen to every caller complain? That seems like the only calls they take. On top of that, they frequently just repeat themselves over and over (especially Russo). Russo gives his take on something, then Francessa, then Russo says the exact same thing. Then Francessa will repeat his point a little differently, then Russo says his again exactly the same. ...

I like Sommers a lot, it's an act, but to me he's funny. He has little things he says all the time "he's day-to-day, aren't we all'' that always make me laugh. And sometimes he does some recorded bits that are hilarious. He did one on Bobby Bonds last year that was awesome.

I like Richard Neer a lot, too, smart like Francessa without being an asshole.

Don't get to hear the real late guys much.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Outside of the major-figure interviews (at least the ones Russo doesn't manage to ruin), M&MD are broadly unlistenable.

Mikee does seem to be trying to take the edge off a little, but the air of superiority remains unmistakable.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Kornheiser is OK and Norm Hitzges in Dallas usually a decent job because he doesn't take himself too seriously.

99 percent of the others, unlistenable.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Thou shall only refer to Francessa & Russo (or Mike & the Mad Dog) by their Imus given name -- Fatso & Fruit Loops

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've completely dismissed Cowherd and Tirico.

XM 144 is it for me now. Patrick 11-1 ... Kornheiser 1-3.

And Kornheiser's show being on podcast (http://www.thiswebsitestinks.com/) doesn't hurt, either.

Occasionally, if a baseball game isn't on when I'm driving to work, I'll tune in Chris Myers on FOX. He's OK.

7. Used to love Somers when he was Captain Midnight. The overnights matched up well with my schedule in college - regularly pulling all-nighters for few good reasons.

That was 10 years ago, and I haven't listened to sports talk radio since.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What's "LcoalSports" talk radio?

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I can't listen to local sports talk radio, because it's usually some self-appointed expert/blowhard trying to be an authority because he has a microphone.

We have *3* all-sports stations competing with each other with local shows in afternoon drive in Indy. Kravitz co-hosts the newest one -- and it's listenable.

The worst ... he's doing something on XM and had a national show on Fox briefly ... Mark Patrick. When he inaugurated sports talk radio in the 80s in Indy, he was pretty good. When he came back, his show was three hours of catch phrases and virtually no talk about sports.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Three pages and none of us caught this?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's because we caught it on Page 2.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Full of fail, am I.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted