1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LCD TVs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Nov 24, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

How in the fuck did you get into my parents house?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

PhilaYank, I would imagine with a huge gift such as this, the bank's gonna send you a 1099 form -- like one you'd get for freelancing. It would declare the amount of "income" the gift totaled. You may want to check this out with the bank beforehand, so you know what to expect. If you get a 1099, so will the IRS, so they'll be waiting for you to pay up the taxes on your bit of good fortune.

I'd also suggest insuring your apartment, if you haven't already, since someone's gonna see you bringing this haul home with you, and someone likely will be interested in enjoying a no-strings-attached 40-inch TV, if they can land one.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

With plasma, room images can be reflected on the screen if the room is somewhat bright. We like our Samsung LCD, but there are a lot of good brands out there.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Enjoy an electric bill that's the equivalent of a medium-sized suburb.

I read somewhere that the UK is considering taxing plasma/LCD TV owners because of the strain on the electrical grid.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No matter what you get, it will be the best TV in your living room.

Some hints for the purchase of an HD TV, since I have two. (I married well, and we both cleaned up on real estate).

The LCD does not hog energy. It is a myth. It uses about 1/10th the energy of your coffee pot. The plasma, though, does use a ton.

I have never looked at my LCDs from an angle and not seen the picture.

When you get a high def TV, you are probably going to want to upgrade your cable or satellite package. This ain't cheap. One bonus is that you can get your HD networks for free using old fashioned rabbit ears.

Buy the TV that suits your room. Putting a 52 inch TV in a 10 foot room is a waste.

786 resolution is very good. I know 1080 is out there, but it is a lot more expensive.

The plasma is a pain to move. If you tilt it, you can screw it up. The LCD does not have this problem.

You DVDs are not going to look as good anymore. They play at a lower resolution than the HD picture.

Good luck and congratulations on the purchase.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Gracias, senor 93Diablo.

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Samsung's picture quality is excellent, especially with shows on HD. You can't go wrong with Sony either.

8. 93Devil

De nada

9. 93Devil

Oh, HD networks are Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS and the CW.

No ESPN, Discovery, HBO, etc... Those will cost you.

I just wanted to clear that up.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

In regards to your other question (about timing the purchase), I would definitely, definitely wait until after Christmas.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Congrats, Phila, ol' pal. That's super.

I will send you my Christmas wish list in a PM.

Hey, after the Christmas and TV shopping, can you get any left in cash to pay the taxes? Or maybe you need to buy something that you can return for cash?

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Not quite sure if that's doable. Plus, I also intend on buying a DVD/VCR player, sound system, printer/fax/copier, office chair and a shredder, all for when I eventually move out.

Also, about how much will the gov't try to filch out of my winnings?

Draft saved Draft deleted