1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LCD TVs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Nov 24, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

OK, well I finally got a little lucky. I switched banks to PNC, then filled out a contest card for the hell of it. A few weeks later, they call me and tell me that I won the grand prize: a $4,200 gift card to Best Buy.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well, of course, I'm getting Christmas shopping done first, then I take care of me, which includes getting a LCD TV. I'm looking between a 40-50" screen, high contrast ratio & I'll be playing some Xbox on that sucker. Which brand is the best as far as quality & durability? The brands that have caught my eye are Sony, Phillips, Samsung & LG. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Come on, show some self-awareness and start a poll with the different brands. It's what the people want.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Phil, 1st off...congrats, that's wonderful.
    I will say this, wait to use the card till after the New Year, you can get a 60" plasma pretty cheap.
    Also, I say plasma because even with LCDs , you need to be seated in front and the screen needs to be at eye level to ensure full brightness.
    If you have a family who will be watching at different angles, go plasma. And go Panasonic or LG, they get great reviews.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

This TV will hopefully be taking up residence in my apartment... which is hinging on the fact that I actually turn a recent interview into a job. [/loudly gulping]

5. markvid

markvid Guest

But, will you be the only one watching it regularly?

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Possibly the future Mrs. PhilaYank & my college buddies.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Then go plasma.
    Only one person can really benefit from an LCD.

8. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Get one of these:
    [​IMG]

Epson PowerLite Home Cinema...one of the only affordable 1080p projectors.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

I don't see how you can go wrong with this model.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Make sure you pay taxes on that big-boy gift card. It's gonna set you back $1,000. That's just as important as figuring out what type of TV you'll want.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

That's a good point I hadn't thought of.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Yikes. So I'm guessing that I save that card once I'm done and write it down on my tax forms? Also, I have two more questions:

1) Is the brightness factor between LCD and plasma that much of an issue? I have every intention to log some serious Madden time on it, and I was told that plasmas get "frozen images" & video games aren't as sharp on them over LCDs.

2) Do prices nose-dive enough after Christmas that I should hold off on a purchase until then?

Again, I have no clue as to where to put this thing, since I'm still waiting for a second interview, but that's another topic. I also intend on getting a sound system, DVD/VCR combo player and a stand for all that stuff. So far, I'm seeing some good stuff from LG under $2K.

Draft saved Draft deleted