1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lazy incompetent co-workers ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

... OK, they're not really my co-workers, but we talked to our sister paper about sharing stories for this week's basketball playoffs. In the past when I've done stories, I've made it a point to send them a version for their paper while getting a version for ours. I figured they'd do the same for us.
    I was wrong. I got a story about the team my locals don't give two shits about. Yeah, our locals lost, but honestly, I don't know how. Can't tell from the story.

I think part of this is because the writer who did the story thinks his shit doesn't stink. He works at the daily, while we're slumming it at a weekly, meanwhile putting out a better product, coming up with new ideas that our publisher is eating up. All this without an editor. So while he roots, root, roots for his home team (and I've seen it), he sends us a crap product that I had to totally re-write.

OK, I'm done venting.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Cooperation in this era of clusterfuck ... umm, clustering is fraught with such problems. There is payback for slights centuries old, often regarding one sports editor molesting the cattle of another SE in the 1760s. Nothing you can do except not retaliate.

3. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

Our publisher has gotten on my and the editor of the other paper in my group's case about coordinating coverage for events that affect both counties we cover. When I planned our mega election issue, I sent the other paper five stories written by my staff and stringers. I'd thought he would have sent me one or two from his group. Nope.

He ended up running two of the stories I sent him. This week, I had my reporter covering a rally in the state capital. I look at his paper and what do I see? A story and photos from one of HIS reporters!

So much for cooperation...

4. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

I'm still trying to figure out why I didn't call in sick today...

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

In fairness, you should see some of the drivel that we get from sister papers that are supposed to be covering events for us. Sometimes, we actually choose wire copy over that other paper, usually because the sidebar is so far out there/irrelevant that it's nearly unusable.

Oh, that and this individual is a terrible writer, which doesn't make things any easier.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Happened at our joint tonight regarding photos. Last time the team from our city played the team in their city, they sent us pretty much unusable photos.

We sent the photog intern tonight. The photog has shot sports three times their life.

Payback baby. Payback.

7. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

I'm surrounded by lazy people every night. All they do is sit around for a few hours and bitch about anything and everything.

Dunno how they get their stories edited on deadline. I think they just spellcheck 'em and then write a headline. I never hear them pounding the keyboard as if they were, ya know, editing a story.

Buncha lame wanna-bes, they are. Anti-social freaks, also. You wouldn't like 'em. I know I don't. But they can tell you why all the writers suck........

8. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

It's unbelievable in my shop. I"m pounding away every night -- people remark about that -- and I don't hear anyone coming close to that. Their work makes the paper, but what are they doing for eight hours? Sadly, I'm too busy to raise my head and ask them WHAT the FUCK are YOU DOING over there?

9. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

I don't see the writers much. They pretty much work from home, or the game site. Great for them, but a huge disconnect in the newsroom.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Not to mention the people who have to replace the keyboards.

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I've had to deal with my share of apathy with co-workers, and even sometimes on staff. The challenge is to find what motivates them and inspires them to actually work. For example, one guy who's been here for five, six years was doing lazy stuff and just going through the motions. I had a talk with him, found out how life could be made more enjoyable in the workplace, and now he's doing more enterprise and feature work. It's a matter of adjusting and finding a role everybody is comfortable in.

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I just do a search on some topics so that way I don't start threads over again. Sorry :(.

Draft saved Draft deleted