1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lazenby sucks as James Bond

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SixToe, Aug 6, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

bub, I'm sorry. I liked it.

2. 1) Diana Rigg...mmmmm.
    2) The scene in The Man With The Golden Gun where Bond puts Britt Eklund in the closet so he can roll around with Maud Adams is, I believe, deeper in meaning than we think.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

2) Never really thought of that, but you're probably right.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

the whole 1970s were crap for bond movies.

-- Diamonds are Forever: Connery might even seem older here than in "Never Say Never," which is bad enough to be included in the 70s of Bond movies. When the two chicks kick Connery's ass?? Really?

-- Live and Let Die: Three words -- Inflatable Yaphet Kotto.

-- Man with the Golden Gun: If you can catch an evil henchman by trapping him in a suitcase, your movie has flaws. And I say this knowing all of them well: WORST THEME SONG EVER. Yep, worse than Madonna's.

-- Spy Who Loved Me: Basic plotline totally rips off You Only Live Twice. Watch 'em back to back sometime. Even with Jaws, it's trash.

-- Moonraker: Even the name kills me. The outer-space gun battles set special effects back 20 years. That little wrist-dart-shooter thing was strong though.

5. Bubbler

Same director too.

But it's probably slightly better than You Only Live Twice, which was massively over the top (entertaingly so, but still over the top) and the genesis of all of the over the top Bond's that followed.

The Spy Who Loved Me is the only Moore movie I'd defend. And mildly so at that. But it does have that cool mountain ski scene intro, seguing into the only Carly Simon song worth a shit.

6. Diamonds are forever: Good because of Jill St. John's cleavage.

Live and Let Die: Two great things about the movie: The theme song - Best James Bond Theme song ever.
    For Your Eyes Only was good - though not as good as A View to a Kill (sorry I'm a shameless Duran Duran fanboy). And Jane Seymour .... Hot Hot HOT! Best Bond girl ever.

I'm with Bubbler on The Spy Who Loved Me .. (Barbara Bach looked fabulous!) great opening scene.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Surely you're not dissing You're So Vain. You're on the verge of inspiring an Animal House disciplinary committee speech from me.

9. Bubbler

Nobody Does It Better is far superior to You're So Vain. And finishthehat has a good point, the ski scenes preceding the ski jump off the mountain are God awful.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, the more I think of it, as bad as Moonraker was, View to a Kill was worse.
    Bad modeling, tho decent plot. Moore at the end looked just old and the most annoying Bond Girl ever -- Tonya Roberts...

11. Bubbler

Good song though. I think it's the most underrated of Duran Duran tunes.

12. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

The Spy Who Loved Me is definitely the best of the Moore films. Octopussy has its moments, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted