1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layout/copy editor, Honolulu Star-Bulletin

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ondeadline, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That may be a downside for someone already working for a better company, sure. But my recollection is that no one else wanted the Star-Bulletin and it would be a defunct newspaper without Black Press.

2. zman82

zman82 Member

what's the deal with black press? i tried to do some quick backgroud check but didn't find anything terribly negative. do you get paid in canadien $$$ or something?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Zman, call folks in Akron, Ohio. They might be able to lend a hand.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And you'll work for a good guy in Paul, who busts his ass on a daily basis to make that section as good as it can be, given its limitations.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Most of them actually are better companies.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I had some balls... a long time ago.
    The Islands were great for about 2.5 years. Then they start to shrink. And, shrink fast.
    Now, then comes the problem. Getting a job on the mainland that will pay to move you off the Islands. Good luck with that.

7. fishwrapper

Birdscribe, how do you know that?
    From my recollections, Hawaii isn't just west of Edwards Air Force Base. ;)

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Cute.

Because I've worked on an event with Paul the last two years. In fact, it's the same event going on in Maui this week: the Wendy's Champions Skins Game (gratuitous plug).

9. zman82

zman82 Member

getting out of hawaii ... sounds like a good problem to me.

10. fishwrapper

I've done it. It wasn't a "good problem."

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Fish, I'm sure logistically it wasn't the easiest thing in the world, but I'd imagine that there's got to be a market for people coming and going from the islands for used cars, second-hand goods, etc. -- especially with the price of new goods there. Not a lot of folks do it, but a fair number move to the islands from the mainland United States to work for a couple years and then come back.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

I remember hearing about someone who took a sports broadcasting job in Hawai'i a while ago. He said living there was great, but it was a problem trying to move up to a better job because you are away from the mainland and you get somewhat out of touch with things.

Draft saved Draft deleted