1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in Utah

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Layoffs and/or early retirement offers coming at the Deseret News
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700232169,00.html

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A lot of the sports staff is older. Sorry to see if any of them go. I got my start stringing there.

But if the long-term guys get laid off, I would think they would get replaced by younger guys to save money. A couple of the editors I know aren't slumming it by any stretch of the imagination.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If this extreme is indicative of what's going on across this industry ... holy crap ...

As (IIRC) Moddy said on Steve Blust's thread on the job board, the bottom is falling out from under us rapidly.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

You can thank craig and his list.

Classified ads in newspapers have become obsolete and the bigwigs have not figured out how to adapt. It may be too late -- already is for a lot of people -- before they do figure it out.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I know classified losses are helping to kill revenue figures, but 32 percent in four-plus months? I can't wrap my head around that number.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, this is not a slow tumble.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And there's nothing below to break that fall.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The 35 lost would be mostly in the newsroom. Paper has a JOA with the Salt Lake Tribune and ad sales are under the MediaOne banner.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Nope, it's a particular door that has been opened and there is no closing it. Few people turn to newspapers from classifieds anymore. They know the other options and even if the newspapers were to replicate those options, there still would not be much added revenue.

I'm guessing there must have been some annual contracts in classifieds that expired in January and simply will not be renewed when there are other, cheaper, more accessible methods of classified advertising.

10. Stitch, I hope you're not rationalizing this move by saying it's not so bad, the positions won't be lost, they'll just be filled with cheaper labor.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

All the people who have been laid off are down there. At least that's what the bean-counters think.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Man that's got to be tough. How are these guys going to support all their wives?

Draft saved Draft deleted