1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in St. Louis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Jan 8, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sent to me via PM:

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch let go of 39 today. Three were in sports, including assistant sports editor Cameron Hollway.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/2DB38857B2A2866C86257538007BE3DB?OpenDocument

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Any news on the other two? Tough stuff, I know Fredericksburg had some layoffs this week. Tulsa, St. Louis *** thus far it seems 2009 is sucking every bit as much as 2008.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Holy shit. Cameron Hollway is really, really good people. I drank beers with him a couple of summers ago and he is legit.

This is shocking to me.

4. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

sadly, 2009 will probably suck more than 2008, which might look like a good year when all is said and done.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The other two layoffs were copy editors, Neil Joellenbeck and another whose name I didn't get.

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Cameron is good people. I hope he lands on his feet.

7. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Those laid off:

http://graphicdesignr.net/blog/2009/01/08/39-laid-off-from-the-post-dispatch/

8. Three Web people? That smacks of "We have no plan for the future and don't know what the fuck we're doing."

9. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

cameron was hands-down the best assistant sports editor in eastern missouri.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ted Rodgers is a long time and solid vet.
    Got a feeling more depatures are coming here.

11. Moddy, what's the news in Fredericksburg?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Seven - I think - out of the news room. Sports, I think, took one hit. I know it happened, I'm not sure on all the details.

Draft saved Draft deleted