1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in SLC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I know a copy editor who had been there a year and just left for a bigger place about a month ago.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Former co-worker (a reporter) said on Facebook that he survived the cuts but provided no numbers. "Sad, gut-churning day."

4. Sadder too was that besides the layoffs, a sports copy editor who had been on leave since the spring died today of cancer. Bad, bad day ...

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does Anastasi keep his job for the sake of "diversity"?

6. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Damn, could you be any more of a dick?

People lost their jobs today. Have some respect.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Five in the newsroom laid off.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/52570089-79/tribune-conway-singleton-employees.html.csp

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think at some point newspapers should stop blaming the economy - from what I've heard the economy in Utah is pretty good, and the booming Texas economy didn't prevent the DMN to cut staff.
    I really doubt many newspapers kept staff on because they figured a turnaround was just around the corner. Most papers are cutting ahead of the decline to stay profitable.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Via a Facebook friend, it was five from the newsroom.

Draft saved Draft deleted