1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in Riverside

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Editude, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

One of the cuts was in sports: Jeff Parenti, a good guy, had been an ASE on the content side:

http://reporter-g.blogspot.com/2011/11/layoffs-at-press-enterprise.html

2. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

That's rough. I worked with Jeff when I was freelancing sprint car racing for the paper through last year - he was always a straightforward guy.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

This is just sick. Parenti is one of the best guys I've ever worked with. He was happy to get to Riverside after being chased down and dumped on by Singleton TWICE (San Gabriel and Long Beach).

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Damn. Parenti is a good guy. Know lots of people there -- lots of San Bernardino refugees fled across the county line after Singleton came in.

There is lots of belt tightening going on not just here but nationwide. Are we heading for another repeat of 2008-2009? I suspect we're going to hear more belt tightening in the last two months of the year.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Bad news. Parenti is one of the best young guys I worked with.

6. MileHigh

And for the love of fuck, I just found out a former colleague in Berdoo got the ax (not in the of names on Gary's site).

7. MileHigh

Hearing two in sports.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ditto on Parenti. Only contact with him was via phone last spring when we were both trying to get some playoff games covered. Nice guy.

9. MileHigh

Just announced the editor is fleeing for The Tennessean in Nashville. Nels Jensen promoted to EIC.

Draft saved Draft deleted