1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in Providence

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Sep 2, 2014.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ugh. I tried to make my 4,000th post something more positive, but I just couldn't do it. Didn't see this posted so I thought I'd put it up.

http://ripr.org/post/twenty-two-guild-layoffs-providence-journal-include-bob-kerr

Rich Lee is the casualty in sports.

Shaking my head. :(

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To bump this up today, not sure if it's out there confirmed, but the names being leaked as cuts from sports are Rich Lee, Bill Reynolds and Carolyn Thornton. (Note: I got those names from a past employee, who still has friends there. Haven't seen an update to the link shared by Steveu.) Allegedly, some copy desk employees have received notification that a final determination on their jobs will be made in January or February. Interim publisher released a statement today: http://www.providencejournal.com/breaking-news/content/20140903-new-media-completes-purchase-of-the-providence-journal.ece

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If that's the case, how many are left in sports? Like 3 people?

4. sgreenwell

I could be forgetting someone, and I'm not familiar with the editing structure there, but I believe they have three reporters and one columnist left, with the current reporters covering college basketball (URI and PC), Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins and Celtics, with some shifting depending on the season and team quality. I'm not sure who's doing HS coverage for them at this point, if anyone.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Three reporters and a columnist for a paper that size. Ow-itch. :(

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I don't know who I'm missing off the top of my head:

Daniels, Gillooly, Donaldson, Britton, Kenyon and McNamara. Anyone else?

7. sgreenwell

Kenyon retired recently, and Gillooly might be part-time / only around for HS playoffs, but I'm not positive on him.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I've heard rumblings that the next big thing is dropping pro coverage. The timing works out for GateHouse; they're cutting, according to some Facebook stuff I've read from people at ProJo. the copy deskers in February and housing it all in Texas. That means they can stop pro stuff right after the NFL season and just before spring training.
    At this point, who knows what the next step is. I do know there are several guys in-state who are more than willing to jump on board over there, present company included.

9. jeffgreer

jeffgreer New Member

Don't have any information to add, but this is really sad to hear about my hometown paper. I consider Bill Reynolds one of my biggest journalistic influences growing up.

10. OceanLottery

OceanLottery Member

Anyone know for sure about Reynolds? He wrote a piece on Marvin Barnes that was published on their website yesterday.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/content/20140908-bill-reynolds-the-news-was-never-dull-with-marvin-barnes.ece?click=MV:2

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

From what I've gathered, there are two cuts - the ones the other day and a bunch of people who already know their fate going in Feb.

Draft saved Draft deleted