1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in Palm Beach

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the Pipeline:

There were four layoffs at the Palm Beach Post yesterday, including sports editor Dave Tepps and long-time sports columnist Greg Stoda. The D.C. correspondent and a features writer were also laid off.

2. Andy Kent

Andy Kent New Member

Saddest part about this news is that we are no longer shocked when it comes down the pipeline. Just look at the thread directly underneath this one about the SI photo staff. But this one hits closer to home for me because I have known Greg Stoda for years and worked alongside him at a number of different events. I also did freelance work for Dave Tepps and both of these men are the classiest of the class. Here's hoping they both quickly land on their feet, which I am confident they will.

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Excellent journalists, good people. No end to the bad news these days.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Tepps is a good guy. So is Stoda. Last one around please turn off the lights.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Just plain awful. And I guess they're going to go without a sports editor?

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How many years in a row did the Post earn a Triple Crown at the APSE awards?
    Hell of a run. And now these guys can't call it their sports section anymore. What a shame.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They did have a good run. But I wonder if some of the Triple Crowns were due in part to similar-sized papers "playing up" in the competition. I know, for example, that the Sun-Sentinel always competed only in the large-paper category (even though their circulation was only slightly higher than PB's. Did any other papers do that?

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

The Post has a capable, well-regarded assistant sports editor in Mark Bradley (not to be confused with the columnist in Atlanta), so the guess here is that he'll run the department for now. I could see them going without designating an actual "sports editor."

It's safe to say that for a paper of its size (key nuance there), the Post's sports section was one of the best back in the day, although it probably benefited in those Triple Crown competitions from the way the APSE contests worked. The section was highly competitive with the two to the south, and better in some ways.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

So getting rid of Tepps was a salary dump. I know that happens a lot now bit it still sucks.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That's sad news. I learned a lot from Tepps in Miami, and he was one of those former colleagues who reached out to me during my recent unemployment.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

There was a round of layoffs at the Sun-Sentinel recently that didn't make the board. I know they lost at least one writer in sports.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sun-Sentinel layoffs included sports writer Steve Gorten, cartoonist Chan Lowe (son of Carol Channing, btw, and a 30+year employee), photo editor Carl Seibert and the remaining 4 ad proofing positions.

Draft saved Draft deleted