1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dirtybird, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I disagree that a sports section needs a general, know-it-all essay columnist. Lots of places have columnized-up their beat people and my understanding was that the Star has done this also, to the point that it was one of Kravitz's frustrations. Hard enough to come up with good column ideas across the board, harder still when the beat people are burning through lots of the angles. But plenty of readers value the "expertise" of the particular sport's insiders rather than a general columnist who can't possibly be as inside on everything.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Kravitz was on a local radio show in Indy today and it sounded like the deal had been in the works for a few weeks. He said one of the first calls he made while mulling it over was to Bozich, who said it was the best move he ever made.

Like 1HPGrad said, the Star countered (as they should have; he was the face of the paper) but no dice.

Pretty wild few days in Indy for media. On Monday it was announced that CBS was leaving one local affiliate for another after several decades, and the dust hasn't settled yet for all those TV news folks. Then Kravitz leaves for the top station in the market (the NBC affiliate, not one of the two in the CBS swap). The media isn't supposed to be the news but there was no getting around it this week.

3. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Joe, only one voice matters in Indy. And it's Kravitz's.
    Love him, hate him, agree, disagree. He's the guy you read. He's the guy who shapes opinions. There's not even a close second. He's Indy's Le Batard. And this is Manning to Denver with no Luck in sight kinda bad.

Playthrough: shhhhh, please ... I'm a bozo who knows nothing about that newsroom. The King said so. And others agreed.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I consider Bob one of the best friends I made in the business, though of course we haven't seen each other in years. He has always been very intelligent and thoughtful about his career, so if he is taking this step, I have to assume it's the best move for him.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

From what I have understood, the Star wasn't heartbroken about losing Hutchens. I mean, they reassigned him from that beat.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think most of us who are no longer in the business feel the same way every time we see one of these threads.

You feel terribly for those impacted, but glad you're not dealing with neverending cycle of uncertainty.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Ramos made that move and those of us who remember his Glory Days at the AJC remember how well his moves worked out when he was there.

8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

You're hired!

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ronnie Ramos is going to stop posting here if you guys keep being mean.

10. RecoveringJournalist

Promises, promises.

11. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Never was a fan of the move to run off Bill Benner in favor of Kravitz. Can't remember if that came before or after the Pulliams (who also owned the Arizona Republic) sold to Gannett.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I know he's retired but I wonder if Indy has some designs on Mike Lopresti?

At last report he was living in Indy and he'd bring instant credibility.

I'm an unabashed Lopresti fan so I'd consider him an upgrade from Kravitz but I'm biased.

Draft saved Draft deleted