1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dirtybird, Aug 11, 2014.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Ha.

Didn't Louisville lose 2 columnists to a TV station there a year or two back?

2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Yes, Crawford and Bozich left for TV, and I haven't read either since. Says more about me and my habits, I suppose. I don't hunt and peck for TV websites. But I don't read ESPN's NFL guys either. I trust the hometown newspapers to get it right and explain why.

Back to Indy...would LOVE to see the total years of institutional knowledge that has left that place in the past 5 years. Has to be staggering.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They'll bring in another sports columnist. C'mon now. Opinions are what people want to read the most these days.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The story on Kravitz says they will be looking for a new columnist.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I know. As a subscriber I sure hope they go find another Kravitz. But you know someone in Gannettland is brainstorming some goofy role like "conversation coordinator," who will compile tweets and what's trending.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Gannett shop in my neck of the woods started the year by touting all the pages they would be adding each week (I think they were proclaiming 70 to 80), most of it local content. They added a daily eight-page USAT section, which means 56 of the 70 new pages each week, or 80 percent, were non-local. More than once they have filled the local news hole with random white spaces and -- my personal favorite -- taking a small crash pic from a local police agency and filling a huge five-column gap with the highly digitized pic. They also have beat writers do regular columns, which have resulted in gems such as local politicians clearly stating via e-mail or press release what the 4th of July means to them.
    As for Indy, what a blow to lose Kravitz. I wonder how long Cavin will stay.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Why do they need a columnist specific to the Star? They don't need local designers. Or local copy editors. Just have one or two columnists in four hubs that cover certain sections of the country. What's the difference? Think of the money that would be saved. Or, even better, have one or two columnists for the entire chain.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I wonder if the Star asked Kravitz to re-apply for his job and he said no thanks? (Just kidding, but that would be rich, wouldn't it?)

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I absolutely would not be surprised if that happened. At. All.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'd lay money that's what happened.

11. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Between Kravitz leaving and losing Terry Hutchens' coverage of IU last year when he was reassigned and then bolted for Scout, the Star is looking about as healthy as Paul George's leg right now.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That would be awesome if he did.

Draft saved Draft deleted