1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dirtybird, Aug 11, 2014.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The latest "trend" for local and other news outlets is just doing a video cut and not using words to tell a story.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I never understood why WTHR spent all the money to hire Kravitz and then didn't hire (or already have) anyone to edit his stuff. Like every writer, he needed an editor. And a better platform behind him -- for a few years, his columns would say "By Anonymous" at the top. He was a shiny object in a crappy box.

Indy has an edition of The Athletic and, as a subscriber, I'd love it if he was picked up there but it doesn't seem like many of the markets have been hiring columnists.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

From a TV perspective I don't get the hire at all. That transition rarely works -- the newspaper reporter is generally bad on TV and his/her presence on the web isn't going to move the needle. I get that Kravitz is a big deal in Indy but it made no sense after the initial splash of the hire.

Back when Gannett bought the Arizona Republic and already owned KPNX-TV they made a big deal about how they were going integrate reporters on both sides. It was a huge failure. One of the newspaper guys was really good and eventually became an anchor. All of the others were off the air within weeks.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Kravitz would be the first to tell you he has a face for radio. It was heck of an opportunity to get out from a Gannett shop before it got rid of him; until four years later when it was the TV station doing the cutting.

It's been a good few years for readers here between his columns and Gregg Doyel at the Star. Two very different styles.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would love to know how many hits Kravitz was getting on the station website. I would bet it was really low, and that's no shade toward Kravitz. It's just the wrong forum.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

I really miss his radio show with Eddie White.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

It always seemed to me the addition of Kravitz for the TV station in Indy, and the Louisville station that hired the Courier-Journal writers, was more about hurting the papers there than helping the stations.

Draft saved Draft deleted