1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dirtybird, Aug 11, 2014.

1. GAPrintDino

GAPrintDino New Member

I'd love to be a fly in the wall in that newsroom. OK, maybe not.

But I am curious about Ramos' plan here. I understand the concept of going all-digital, finding younger talent who better fit the tools and asks of the current media environment. Moving on from as much experience, as fast as they have, seems a bit extreme though.

Have to wonder how they're going to re-brand themselves. All the faces 95% of their readers know, I'm sure, are gone now.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I know what you're saying, but I think the "old" guys fit the new tools fine too. From what I've seen in the Star, writers aren't asked to shoot their own videos (yet). Tweet, yes, and Chappell and others were perfectly fine at it. Holder is fine on the beat and I'm sure others would be serviceable, but Chappell has covered that team since Day 1 in Indy. Day fucking one.

It's just a staggering loss of talent and experience. Chappell, Richards, Ambrogi, Wilson, Kravitz -- that's about 125 years' worth of time at the Star. When the Colts play the Broncos on Sunday night, I'm not sure there will be a writer covering the game for the paper who was there when Manning was a Colt (Holder? I'm not sure), unless perhaps racing writer Curt Cavin pitches in.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Wow.

4. playthrough

Might be Michael Pointer, who has been a jack-of-all-trades guy there for a while. I can't think of anyone else.

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Curt Cavin's gotta be the most senior at this point. Woods has been there longer than Pointer, too. I can't think of anyone beyond those two.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm with you, playthrough. For the most part, I think most "senior" journalists are pretty good about adding digital chores. It's a matter of survival these days. (I have come across a few who grouse about extra duties without extra pay, but they seem hopelessly out of touch with the reality of the business.)

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

@RecoveringJournalist -- I have to admit, I was just having some fun there. Actually, I've never heard of RR working closely or well with ANY writer.

8. playthrough

Ack, you're right. Definitely Cavin. And it's pretty amazing that he has held on in the midst of all the other departures.

9. RecoveringJournalist

OK, good. It makes it a little more fun to pile on the guy when everybody seems to agree.

I worked for a few really bad sports editors, but they all sound like Van McKenzie and Fred Turner compared to Ramos.

10. franticscribe

I've long wondered when the day will come that the Star decides covering the 500 is good enough.

11. RecoveringJournalist

Do we really need to cover Indiana basketball? Do the readers really care about basketball here? We don't have to travel with the Pacers until Paul George is healthy. If the combine wasn't here, I'm not sure we'd send anyone. Maybe we can hire stringers.

12. franticscribe

I think you mistook my comment as a suggestion that it was a good idea. And for Cavin's sake I hope it never happens, at least not until long after he's retired.

But given the Star's decisions about coverage on a lot of fronts, it wouldn't surprise me. In part because IndyCar and Hoosiers or Pacers basketball are far different animals. Yes the sport has the history and tradition there, but I'm not sure the dedicated fan interest is. All I know is that out of my cohort of 30-something-year-old small town Indiana friends, I'm the only one who pays attention to any of the races that aren't on Memorial Day weekend. Most of our Dads are still tuning in, but there's a huge drop-off with younger audiences. Part of the same problem Nascar is experiencing, in that young people aren't into cars.

Draft saved Draft deleted