1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in High Point, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smartwriter, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i've never heard paxton mentioned in the same breath as jrc. were you being a little knee-jerk with this statement or is it really in the ballpark?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

My point remains. The number of good jobs in this business are drying up.

The slashing, the burning, it's failed to level off. For the first time, I'm seriously thinking of getting out.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's probably more a matter of experience. I've never worked for a JRC paper, but I have worked for a Paxton.
    Just like some of the JRC bashing on here may come from bad experiences with them.

To truly say one is worse than the other, you'd probably have to ask someone who has worked for both companies.

I'd bet both are very high on bad companies tho.

I hear you, wicked. The only problem is trying to find another job. PR jobs are just as hard to find.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks hank.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

Hank: Somebody working for one awful company in a newspaper business who went to another horrible company would have to be really unlucky or a glutton for punishment.

6. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Wow. You guys are really scaring someone who just graduated college and entered the business.
    This is what I went to school to do. It's the only thing I've imagined myself doing for the past 5 years. I really can't picture selling cars or being a cop or something like that. I don't know what else I'd do if eventually the business gets to the point where I can't find a job.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's better to be informed than to hide your head in the sand, my friend.

8. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Yeah I know. Our paper was just sold. I start in August then find out my paper is being sold. And my penny pinching publisher becomes even more of a penny pincher out of fear of what the new company will think of his budget.

I guess if the print drys up there's always online writing jobs...right?

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Your wit is a dri one.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm hoping so, doc.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

As long as the "there's always online writing jobs" perspective holds true, the standards for such will continue to lessen.

12. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

Forgive my thick skull in this situation but, what do you mean exactly?

I just graduated college in May. While I was in school all I heard about was "convergence" and about how print media was a dinosaur that was about to become extinct.

As a print journalist I don't find that to be true at all but it's being taught in schools these days apparently. People are being fed this notion that print journalism is only for old people.

*edit* to make myself a bit more clear in the paragraph

Draft saved Draft deleted