1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in High Point, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smartwriter, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

Apparently there's been recent layoffs at the High Point Enterprise.

http://blog.news-record.com/staff/jrblog/2007/11/layoffs_in_high.shtml

http://jonathanjones.wordpress.com/2007/11/15/has-paxton-media-group-struck-again/

Sad times again strike in this business.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

High Point is barely over 20K? I knew a guy who interviewed there four years ago and they were something like 35K then. That's awful.

3. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Know an HPE alum or two. More awful news.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

More Paxton crap. Didn't learn from its bloodletting in Durham, and the crap it pulled in Indiana.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the ruin of some of these papers and their owners would be amusing if good working people didn't have to suffer for the owners' stupidity.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A friend of mine who had been there a long time and did a hell of a job was among those laid off. Shakes my faith in this business something terrible.

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Anyone in sports get affected? I know quite a few of the guys there ...

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Just more evidence that Paxton stinks. Hopefully everybody will find a better opportunity and, chances are, they'll find one with a better company.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes. My friend. So that's one.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

But those better companies ... where are they?

I'm immune to this now. Sadly, I'm resigned to eventually working for a POS company that treats its people like crap, since that's the bulk of what's out there.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Well, implying that there are no better companies than Paxton is like implying that there are no better football programs than Duke. I'm not saying there are tons of companies that are great, but Paxton is one of the worse.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

They are definitely getting into JRC territory, if they haven't long surpassed them.

Draft saved Draft deleted