1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

layoffs in Greensboro

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by long_snapper, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Does anyone know how long the layoffs were known about, or was this a Pearl Harbor job?

2. Damn it. We're all doomed. I need to seriously start thinking about a new career.

3. boots

boots New Member

That might not be a bad idea. Newspapers as you know it on 6-10-07 will much different by 6-10-17. That's only a decade away. Like it or not, it's time to face reality, it is a dying business. I've been through some lean times but the horror stories that are coming out now are almost unbelieveable.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

SPNA is doing a contest for what the newspaper will look like in 2017. I'm tempted to send in a blank piece of paper.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's bad enough that the paper is owned by a billionaire family. Somehow, I think they'll be able to put food on the table. But it's worse when we see a situation like Monica Chen's.

We can only hope the editor was blindsided, and that these cuts were proposed after her hiring. But somehow I have my doubts. And if that's the case, that's disgusting. I don't think I'm alone in having a problem with a family that can make multi-million dollar charitable donations, yet oversee a company that can botch a situation like Chen's, much less all the other lives they've thrown into chaos. Yes, it's their money and their companies - but these are lives and a lot more than some stupid labor numbers in a beancounter's calculator.

This is bad, and obviously Durham was a big mess. The motto that ran for a long time - "I like calling North Carolina home" - is starting to sound rather hollow right now.

6. boots

boots New Member

I don't think she has any legal recourse but I hope SOMEONE takes her case pro bono.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If management knew of their health situations, then they and the billionaire chairmen are even more disgusting people than I originally thought. Thanks for the added insight.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Roanoke folks got this e-mail:

Dear Colleagues,

You may have heard that yesterday the News & Record laid off 41 employees. This is an unusual move for a Landmark newspaper. It signals a transition from a structure based on a traditional print model to one that is leaner, more diversified and innovative, driven by an increasingly competitive market in Greensboro.

Although Greensboro has struggled with revenue declines for longer than the other Landmark dailies, this situation helps us see that all newspaper companies must make changes and do business differently. We in Roanoke have faced similar market pressures this year, in fact, and as these continue we are considering additional revenue plans and expense control measures to determine the best course for us. At this point, we are working diligently to achieve the necessary expense control through means other than layoffs.

We encourage you to continue to help us find new ways to work -- on both the revenue and expense sides -- to strengthen our business. Our focus on innovation, the growth of new businesses, and Leveraging Difference will serve us well as we go forward. The best way you can help is to work with your manager on continuous improvement ideas and offer new approaches to working competitively and efficiently to add value for our readers and customers. Please share your ideas with your manager.

We have the great fortune to be recognized both by our audience and throughout our industry as an information company with high journalistic standards and strong business results, and we will not compromise those assets as we face these challenges.

The company leadership team and I appreciate and value your teamwork and support. -- Debbie

Debbie Meade
    President and Publisher
    The Roanoke Times and roanoke.com
    540-981-3326
    1-800-346-1234, ext. 326
    debbie.meade@roanoke.com

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

One designer who got laid off came to Greensboro from Durham after surviving the layoffs there.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I can top that: I'll take a picture of my laptop, print it out and send it in.

All kidding aside, I've begun to hate this particular forum --- not the site as a whole, just the J-Topics forum. It seems like every time I bring it up, all I ever see are threads regarding layoffs here, mass cuts there, buyouts elsewhere. A lot of good people are getting hurt for no good reason, and quite honestly I don't think the suits even have long-term plans to either turn it around or move into the digital age; they just see their huge profit margins shrinking, panic and start slashing.

Will her old employer take her back? I hope so. (Or is this a first post-college job for her?)

The publisher has known this was coming for two months. Why the hell did he even approve Miss Chen's hiring, then? Just to keep up appearances and try to hide the damage before he dropped a truck on his staff? That's unconscionable.

This business runs on leaks. Somebody should have leaked it to her.

Fifty years from now, my grandchildren will ask me why I left the newspaper business. I'll tell them, "The people running what should be a great public trust broke my heart one time too many."

11. Don't worry about.
    It's not like there's any interest in sports down there.
    Jeebus, what a bloodletting.
    Hang in there.

12. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Christ ... yer gonna have to bring Bill Haas out of retirement ...

Draft saved Draft deleted