1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs in Colorado Springs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Editude, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

As this story (http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_19450333) says, about a dozen positions, including the editor, were cut in Colorado Springs. One cut in Sports, which has been trimmed several times in the past half-dozen years, was the beat writer for Colorado College hockey, a D-1 program that, with Air Force football is one of the Gazette's top covers.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Happened two weeks ago. Still doesn't mean it was a good thing.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The circulation of the Colorado Springs paper is about 80,000 daily. I don't think they cover the Denver pro teams anymore. Dare I ask how many people are left in sports?

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Classic explanation: The Gazettes' website story said the moves were all made to better connect with readers and to better use social media. Other than Thomas, no staff departures were mentioned.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As far as I know they're still covering the Broncos. Pretty damn good beat writer too...

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I checked their Broncos tab on the web and saw a couple items by David Ramsey, who is listed as a columnist. Everything else I saw is AP.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Glad Schwab wasn't cut. Don't know what sports content would look like down there without AFA coverage. Heart goes out to all who did.

Draft saved Draft deleted