1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs coming today at the OC Register

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Boy, I read the list of names while holding my breath. A former co-worker of mine was out of full-time work for four years before landing at the Register a while back.

For my friend to get cut against would be incredibly devastating. However, my friend has survived, at least so far.

Still, my heart goes out to those who were let go.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Terrible news. Very sorry to hear of it.

3. Morris816

Morris816 Member

In the short term, maybe. But then more people see no reason to keep subscribing or advertising, and then it just gets worse.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Right.

But if you'll read back to what I was commenting on, this was supposed to be the savior solution: a deep-pocketed and committed owner who would create the content that would lead to subscribers. And it isn't.

No good answers, but losing money slowly is definitely better than losing money quickly.

5. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Long Time Listener is right. You can't keep expanding and investing, only to lose an increasing amount of money.

Sadly, the Register proved with this experiment that no amount of investment will matter if advertisers and readers simply don't want the product.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In a related (but not surprising) development, three dozen or so gone in Riverside, too. On top of about 42 ousted only a month ago.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-layoffs-oc-register-riverside-pressenterprise-20140116,0,7275152.story#axzz2qbmWD3ip

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I will say this: Most of the comments on OC Weekly and other places tend to revolve around the Register's paywall. I don't mind a paywall but it seems like this one is too restrictive.

Also, $20 a month for digital seems like way too much, when you think that Gannett properties mostly charge $10 a month and Dallas does as well.

No one has really suggested such things as massive space cuts yet, so I don't know if this truly means the end of the experiment. Very sad to see longtime reporters let go, though. Been through it and it's not fun at all.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Layoffs stink and make me sad.

I do not think the OC would claim this experiment is over, however, though firing a new hire would seem to suggest to me something's pretty off.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like this should be a cautionary tale against firewalls.

The public will devour your coverage ... unless it's inconvenient, money-wise, for them to devour it. And then they won't.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's been a few years since I've seen the Register, but to echo what someone else posted, they own preps in the OC. Only place I ever recall reading about swimming transfers. Wasn't part of their buildup adding a travelling Dodgers writer?

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its $2 a day - you can sign up for a day, devour whatever you want in 24 hours.

And yes, I actually go there for their prep aquatics coverage. Its really good.

Draft saved Draft deleted