1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs coming today at the OC Register

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Jan 16, 2014.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

So much for the good feelings coming out of Orange County when they were on their hiring spree last year. Just heard that there are going to be several layoffs there today, including editor Ken Brusic.

I already know of some senior reporters that got the tap on the shoulder, but none are from sports, yet.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ah, shit. Well, it was good to see the experiment tried. Very sad to see the ending, albeit a familiar one in this business.

I'll wait and see what happens in the end, who got let go, etc., before looking further at this.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yep. Bummer for the industry's future. Everyone was waiting for that angel investor to put some of those great ideas into practice, but it clearly isn't working. More validation for the "cut it to the bone" theory of newspaper preservation.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that theory doesn't work either.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

True. But you lose less money.

7. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

My source tells me that one editor in the sports department is volunteering to leave.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Newspapers don't seem to get that you still get zero if you keep dividing by zero.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

Isn't that where MileHigh is now? If so, best wishes, MH. I know you've been through all sorts of stuff like this before, man, and it never gets easier. Got my fingers crossed for you.

10. SnarkShark

One sports writer out so far...

https://twitter.com/jeichelberger84/status/423908576013213696

11. SnarkShark

Just found out another. This one a pretty big name on the sports editing side. Won't disclose because he hasn't come out and said it yet.

12. SnarkShark

List of names:

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2014/01/oc_register_layoffs_2014.php?page=2

Draft saved Draft deleted