1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs Coming to the Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Memo got sent out to the staff today. I've met more than a few of those guys in my daily efforts, and this just fucking sucks:

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

How long ago did the paper come back? Couple years? Did the internet just sneak up on them??

4. Mizzougrad96

How many papers can you say that about though? I have a bad feeling we're going to see another paper go to three times a week.

5. imjustagirl

But most papers have been trying to hold on to what's worked in the past. The Times JUST relaunched in recent history. They should have done this then, built the program they'd want. To build it how they did, then start cutting people like they JUST realized the internet is the future? It's bullshit.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying, but everybody who joined there had to have gone in with eyes wide open and knowing this may not work. And maybe ownership made overly rosy assumptions or just got into it at the wrong time in the economy, but a business having to make dramatic cuts/changes after three years isn't evidence that three years ago they were in the wrong.

8. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, this kind of shit is the reason why I (after a couple years of wavering) didn't go back.

Any newspaper job has almost zero job security. Even if you're not among those who are let go, you sit there and constantly wonder how long it will be until it's your turn.

That's no way to live.

My thoughts are with everyone at The Times, a few of whom I definitely consider to be friends.

Every time I see a thread like this, I feel sick to my stomach.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They relaunched sports. The paper never went away.

Sun Myung Moon's death led to changed plans, I imagine.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

My 10,000th post and I wish it wasn't on this thread. My thoughts and best wishes go out to all involved.

11. Simon

Simon Active Member

I think newspapers executives spend more time crafting bullshit memos like this one than they do trying to solve the issues that create these memos.

12. imjustagirl

Fair enough. I overstepped. Still ... I just think it's odd that they wouldn't have tried something new with the relaunched sports section.

As always, good thoughts for those at the paper, including and especially Moddy. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted