1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs coming at the OCR...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 3, 2014.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

FWIW, I just spent about a week at a hotel in the OC and read the (free) OCR every day; I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the content. Sure, there was the occassional blatant promo piece (like this one: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/watch-643086-space-breitling.html), but for the most part the stories were of quality. And I thought the sports section was especially strong. Plus, they had 2 pages of color comics each day.

One thing I was struck by was the number of local, mom-and-pop store ads. The ad content had a 1980s vibe. Which may be a good thing, I dunno,

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I still think the OCR is a good paper, despite the shit it's gone through and the broken promises it made to a lot of people. It's just too bad this had to happen to a lot of talented people.

Question: Any writers among this layoff group or is it mostly upper management?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

My understanding was there were no newsroom hits in this wave.

4. MileHigh

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It's painfully obvious that Kushner didn't really know what he was doing. Problem: Nobody else does, either, or at least hasn't demonstrated said knowledge. Give the man props for trying, even if the effort was misguided and poorly executed. It's a tough damn business.

6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

At the introductory town hall meeting in June 2012, someone asked Kushner why he felt he could succeed when most of the industry is failing. His answer: "Because we're smarter than they are."
    Any ray of hope I had was dimmed considerably at that moment. I went back to my department and said, "If you think you're smarter than everybody else, you better damn well be, or there are going to be a lot of problems."
    I was so sorry to be correct.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The one corporate chickenshit actually wanted the employees to write thank you notes to Kushner.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I mean, the guy still owns the company, so...

9. MileHigh

No, he doesn't own the company. He had mysterious/unnamed investors putting him on the stage and pulling all of the strings. When's the last time you heard of an owner resigning?

I've said this before* ... the train came off the tracks when the expansion began out of O.C. When Long Beach Register was floated in early summer 2013, the red flags went up. Then launching with no real plan. He's expanding without solidifying/taking care of the home base in the O.C.? When LBR was drowning, he doubled down with the L.A. Register. Again, the equivalent of throwing shit against the wall and seeing what would stick. Alas, nothing did.

Hell, there was grandiose talk of expanding throughout all of SoCal, pushing papers from Santa Maria to San Diego to Palm Springs and Blythe. Yes, that's why he bought Riverside. And was "in discussions" to be the "white knight" and "rescue" LANG.

*It has been noted on this board I took the jump and was there for 14 months. Still have colleagues/friends there. Others who didn't survive the disaster of the past 15 months. I left on my own volition with no buyout but saw the house of cards tumbling six to eight months before I left.

Draft saved Draft deleted