1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs claim SE in Raleigh

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The whole thing is just crazy. I can't believe they did that to Sherry. This is a Paxton-type move. I never thought McClatchy would resort to this.

2. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

I'm sorry to hear that. Sherry is good people.

Is there a list of who all got cut in Raleigh? I'm curious.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If you know that ratio for a fact, I won't be ignorant enough to dispute it. But before McClatchy bought the N&O, the Daniels family had such a ridiculous slant toward all things Chapel Hill that it was insane. Word has it that a ticket issued to Dean Smith by a public official was buried in classifieds once. I didn't see that for myself, but the source, a professor, was pretty stout.

But that NCSU and Duke are getting fair play in the N&O these days is light-years ahead of that crap from yesteryear. I hope the NCSU and Duke readers aren't petty enough to count words, compare centerpieces to secondary stories and that sort of stuff, but I dunno about a 3-to-1 ratio, either. If Chapel Hill falls out of the Atlantic Coast Conference men's basketball tournament - yet NCSU and Duke soldier on - does that mean Charlotte should centerpiece the Big Ten Tournament and put the ACC across the bottom of Page 1?

4. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

No, no -- not saying that ratio as fact. Merely saying that if it were, the complaint level in charlotte would be minimal at best. it's a UNC town through and through, and I think you know that. And your Big Ten example is ludicrous and you know it. C'mon, I read your posts, you're far smarter than that. Don't go on a tangent to just to be an ass.

5. Sam Mills 51

Me? Trying to be an ass? No, I'm merely arguing your point, which is just as much a stretch.

You can't ignore the rest of the ACC if Chapel Hill isn't ruling the roost. Similar to the Chapel Hill grads, the NCSU alums don't make beelines for the state borders and beyond, either. Red is everywhere, much like Baby Blue. Can't go overkill for either one, especially at the expense of the other.

To me, the trick is how strongly to play Duke and Wake Forest. They deserve their ink, of course. But with many more of their alums heading for other places in the country and the world - and being 1/4 the size of the state schools, making for smaller fan bases - how do you balance that act if the major public institutions are also in action?

6. Sam Mills 51

That would be a terrifying thought for North Carolinians.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sam, we agree on most things but agate is right about Charlotte being a UNC town. I've spent enough time there to see it. This whole subject is crazy anyway, the idea that the N&O will operate without an SE.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

No one with authority or supervisory capacity in Raleigh? Not to worry. McClatchy will just make sure, officially or unofficially, that it has eyes-and-ears there, reporting stuff to Charlotte. That person will be subservient to the management in Charlotte, of course (the reason you have to whack any equals in Raleigh), but will have responsibilities and "power" in Raleigh.

Or . . . another way to go would be like the good ol' prison "trustee" system, where alleged peers are encouraged to spy and tattle on colleagues for small bits of favoritism. If everyone is nervous about his or her job, new heights of cutthroat behavior can be scaled quickly and easily! Perception is going to carry a lot more weight, relative to reality now, when management is 130 miles off-site. So shaping that perception is going to be elevated to an art form by some, and it will be harder than ever for some people in the satellite office to get a fair career shake.

Not picking on any potential weasels, or victims of those weasels, in Raleigh. But this is the sort of thing that gets fostered in times of crisis, when co-workers get pitted against each other for sheer economic survival. Another basic management approach completely ignored or dismissed by the people who run newspapers (into the ground).

9. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Is former Newsday sports editor Steve Ruinsky still in Raleigh?

10. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

Our Raleigh reporter got ahold of the N&O and Charlotte announcements. Here's the section about the Sports departments:

[quote author=John Drescher and Rick Thames]
    The two newspapers’ sports departments will merge into one department that will serve both papers. This department will be headed by Gary Schwab, a former Observer sports editor who is now that paper’s projects editor. Gary will report jointly to Observer Managing Editor Cheryl Carpenter and N&O Senior Editor Linda Williams. Schwab will be based in Charlotte, but will also spend time in Raleigh. Editors in both newsrooms will continue directing sports coverage that is unique to their respective newspaper. With this new configuration, we expect to simultaneously eliminate duplication in coverage and maximize our ability to do sports enterprise. [/quote]

The originals: blog.news-record.com/staff/capblog/nandomemo061608.doc

11. somewriter

somewriter Member

So they combined the Raleigh and Charlotte sports departments and put neither current SE in charge.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So Persinger gets hosed in this, too?

Draft saved Draft deleted