1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs claim SE in Raleigh

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the Pipeline, this may be on another thread already but I think it is worthy of its own.
    Wow.

Raleigh SE Sherry Johnson was laid off today as part of the paper's cuts. The sports section will now be run out of Charlotte, apparently.

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I'm waiting for a McClatchy wonk to get the bright idea to merge Rock Hill, Columbia and Myrtle Beach

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, it's on the McClatchy thread. They're combining the two sports sections. I talked to a friend in Charlotte, who said the Observer was losing 23 people, but no sports reporters. Said person said every Charlotte sports copy editor was offered a buyout.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I had many reasons for my departure but I'll readily admit that fear of this happening was one of them. Cuts at my paper a year earlier took out two on a similar level and they would not have thought twice about telling me to take my 30 years and shove it.
    I fear for everyone in the business right now.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Considering what just happened in CLT and Raleigh, I wouldn't be surprised in the least.
    Rock Hill and Myrtle share college teams in the same conference; both have just one primary high school writer and good percentage of deskers to writers. It would be sad, but deskers getting canned and duties moved to the State isn't that big of a leap.

It makes me sick to my stomach. I have friends at all three papers.

6. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Just spitballing here, but Raleigh and Charlotte look to be about 130 miles apart. I can't fathom how someone in Charlotte can be comfortable with making many decisions (editorial or otherwise) for Raleigh. Up in my neck of the woods, that would be roughly like having the SE in Syracuse be put in charge of Albany, as well.

I'm sure Raleigh has an assistant SE or two who's up to the task of holding things together, but future hiring is going to be an adventure. Who wants to be a No. 2 for a paper no longer important enough to even have a No. 1 in the sports department? You know damn well that when the SE's job comes open, someone in Charlotte is going to have the inside track over a guy/gal in Raleigh.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Has a similar feeling (though on a larger scale) of when Singleton combined the sports section productions in SoCal with disastrous results.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I can grasp the decision to merge staffs in things like game coverage. But I have never heard -- in any business -- of an arrangement in which two dozen people report to a supervisor who is nearly three hours away. I say the copy desk should just not show up some night.

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

This is among the dumber ideas bean-counters have attempted to pull off.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

BUT IT WILL HELP THE PRODUCT!!!!!!

Help the product die, that is.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I dunno about that last statement, but Raleigh and Charlotte are entirely different monsters, never mind that they're both McClatchy and in the same state.

Raleigh worries about the Atlantic Coast Conference schools and the Carolina Hurricanes and - if staff and events permit - might stretch out to get East Carolina and Wake Forest. Charlotte has the Panthers, Bobcats, David Poole to do NASCAR, UNC Charlotte on occasion and might branch up to work Wake Forest.

Two different markets, one predominantly college and the other much more pro-centric since the Hornets landed there 20 years ago. If they're asking Mike Persinger to look after both, they're kidding themselves. No slam on Mike, but rather on McClatchy.

What a complete mess ... and back on topic, though I don't know Sherry Johnson from the man on the Moon, I feel for her. She's been at the helm since Steve Riley was moved over to news in Raleigh. The section has appeared very steady on her watch ... some won't consider that much of a compliment, but I mean it as nicely as I can say it.

This should be interesting ... in a train wreck kind of way.

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

I grew up in Raleigh. Charlotte is considered a state away by the locals.

Draft saved Draft deleted