1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at Yahoo!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I've got to think, unless they want to blow up the whole thing, that the sports stuff -- especially during football season with fantasy football bringing in so many eyeballs -- generates so many hits, they division is (relatively) safe.

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

They had all those fantasy eyeballs before they spent a lot of money hiring journalists, if I recall correctly.

3. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

A safe job in journalism?
    That's a funny one.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Traded emails with someone there and to say they are freaking out would be an understatement.

5. Charlie_Hustle

Charlie_Hustle New Member

Really sad to see this. There's a lot of great talent writing for Yahoo! sports right now. Superior reporting, IMO, to ESPN and many other sites.

6. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Yahoo Sports has hired Bob Condor, formerly of NHL.com, Chicago Tribune and NYDN, as its new executive editor.

7. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Took me a while to realize this was an old thread that was being resurrected, given the fact that Yahoo(!) has been in the news so much lately.

What's funny is that none of the tech writers who breathlessly follow every major shareholder's utterance seem to realize that it has the #1 sports brand.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I thought the revival of this was the news from earlier in the week that the new CEO is said to be contemplating "thousands" of layoffs in the next month or so.

9. JPsT

JPsT Member

While we're here, anybody know what happened with Matt Hinton (fka Dr. Saturday)?

10. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Anyone ever read the comments at Yahoo? They're even worse than the typical sports site. Hard to draw too many conclusions from that, but have they attracted a higher percentage of Neanderthals than most sites?

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Bob Condor ---- an impressive guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted