1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at Yahoo!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Not necessarily. The writers are usually the last to know...

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Except he just left, like six weeks ago. If Yahoo was courting a big-bucks guy while also planning on slashing their sports division, it's plain folly.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Maybe there is some safety for the college writers because they are part of the Rivals brand? I don't know how it all works, but that was one of my first thoughts when I considered Forde.

I was surprised when Jason King went to ESPN, but I guess it makes sense now.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Pretty sure those big-timers work on contracts. So somebody (or three somebodies) might have to go in the cost-cutting, but presumably Forde made the move with a piece of paper that says he stays.

6. Mizzougrad96

I'd be curious what kind of deals they gave out at FanHouse, because I know writers leaving papers where they were easily making $80K a year to go there. ESPN usually does 3-year contracts. I would assume Yahoo does the same, at least for the big name guys.

7. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

FanHouse never did full-time contracts. Those of us who were full time were regular employees, just like any other full-time employee at AOL.

8. Mizzougrad96

I don't know if they do it differently for everyone at Yahoo, but one person I know who works there has a multi-year contract, but he has to pay for his own benefits. That said, they make some medical plan available to Yahoo employees that is the same as what you would pay if you worked anywhere else...

That said, I'm not 100 percent sure if he's a Yahoo employee or a freelancer who is under contract with Yahoo.

9. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Two years ago they offered me a managerial job then froze the position, but benefits were part of the package. I am pretty sure it was a contract situation.
    Does anyone know whether sports is affected, or are we merely guessing?

10. derwood

derwood Active Member

Guessing.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The Yahoo prep blogger position opened up last year. I believe it paid about $50K with no benefits.

12. Mizzougrad96

I think that's about what those bloggers who all got hired by CBS Sports over the last year or so get...

Draft saved Draft deleted