1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at Yahoo!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Dec 4, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Y! Is shutting down a number of BLOGS!

...among the casualties, board fave Will Leitch.

http://www.thewrap.com/media/column-post/yahoo-shuts-down-its-movie-blog-projector-33275

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

As a point of clarification, the exclamation point in the title is in respect to the branding of the Company! and not out of excitement at the sad news.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

... TigerVols spokesman mediaguy said.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm told reliably, by someone there, that there is a genuine fear this could get really ugly. Like FanHouse bloodbath ugly. Lord, I hope not. Would not wish that on my worst enemy.

Best to all at Yahoo! Let's hope it isn't TOO bad.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

And now I understand why Mark Pesavento and Gerry Ahern jumped to USA Today.

6. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Shortly after Yahoo fired Bartz (CEO) the company kept telling its employees that everything was ok and to treat everything "business as usual". Shortly after that, I got laid off.
    Sinking ship? All the business insiders seem to say yes. Yahoo keeps saying no.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Jeff Goldblum's "Run.... as fast as you can" line comes to mind whenever a company says all is well these days.

8. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

I'm hearing Demand Studios may try to buy Yahoo! AOL is the other rumors. Yahoo's problem is that it's no longer cool. It's not Google, Facebook or Twitter. Bad place to be.

9. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I don't think Demand Studios buying Yahoo would be a positive development for anybody.

10. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

The "financial experts" are saying that Yahoo's tentacles should be chopped up and sold separately instead of as one big glob of a company. Yahoo owns enough smaller companies to allow that to happen....provided the Yahoo gurus decided to go in that direction.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

If that's the direction Demand takes, then all of those freelancers who work for Demand (me included, recent slowdown not withstanding) would probably not be happy, I'm thinking.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There is some amazing talent there. I'm guessing most would be snatched up in a matter of weeks, but there is still some amazing FanHouse talent that hasn't found work yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted