1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at Sun-Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, there are different ways places do it. There's last hired, first fired, which doesn't happen often. There are also the places where they cut the weakest link. Sadly, that doesn't happen very often either because that would require actual work and decision-making. Usually it's a position elimination or a salary dump and often they're both...

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Baltimore had layoffs, too. It's on Romenesko.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's that time of year folks.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Bills are coming due.

5. Riptide

Got names for those Sun Sentinel sports layoffs yet?

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, I've done my best to stay out of these conversations for obvious reasons and I'm about to crawl back into my hole. But if Sandra McKee got laid off in Baltimore, that is CRIMINAL. One of the best people I know, extremely good at her job and there's this:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bs-hs-mckee-essay-1025-20121025,0,6912115.story

I'm sitting here hoping it was her choice, that someone with no heart didn't just up and decide to make that cut.

Oh, this business.

As you were. I'm out.

(and yes, I have those S-S names. Do a little research, they're quite out there and unlike Kramer's boys, not loving it)

7. Riptide

I haven't found those names yet. Which is why I'm looking here.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

As a personal note, you hang in there Moddy. Hope things work out in your world.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Moddy, Sandy took a voluntary buyout from what I understand. She could not be laid off anyway because of guild protection.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Astounding and depressing. Outside of Garry Smits in Jacksonville, I can't think of another newspaper writer in Florida whose primary gig is golf.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hard to see the business logic in laying off a 63-year-old business columnist in Orlando and a 40-year veteran religion writer in Fort Lauderdale. You may be dumping some nice salaries, but they ain't coming off your books until 2014.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Jeff Shain not only is one of the best golf writers out there, he's also one of the nicest and easiest guys I've ever worked with. Hearing this makes me sick and he doesn't deserve it. Yeah, who needs a golf writer in Florida? And he gets chopped twice. Unreal.

Draft saved Draft deleted