1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at SI, The Oregonian, Sacramento Bee and Scranton Times-Tribune today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zachpm, May 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Silvercharm isn't wrong at most metro papers ... but track is a pretty big deal in Oregon.

2. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Counting bylines/photo credits at state track, Oregonian/OregonLive had eight people on the site over three days.

3. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

For its high school coverage, The Oregonian and its website has adopted the hunt for clicks that pollutes most of its other coverage. Slideshows, "best marks" lists, etc., for track, "top No. 1 pitchers" slideshow for baseball, and so on. Granted, "covering" track in a state that geographically large with as many competitive classifications as it has is impossible.
    And The Oregonian used to have zoned editions, where a targeted gamer in each part of the circulation area made sense. But, head count.

Yes, The Oregonian has lost employees. But perhaps unique with that outfit was its belief that it could fill holes in its high school coverage caused by reductions in staff by having "trusted users" -- coaches, ADs, scorekeepers, parents, winos wandering into a gym off the street -- provide traditional agate and a capsule-length recap. I defy anyone to find a stupider idea to cover high school sports.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Bronco77 and flexmaster33 like this.
  4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

This. You're right. It does.

Tweener likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Because Bennett attempted and failed to shame the reporter publicly, I can see how a public apology would also be apropos.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Not to mention the ridiculous "Vote for which game we cover" polls that run constantly. It's not a popularity contest...make an editorial decision and cover the games that matter.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

The "trusted users" thing is a joke. Citizen journalism is a joke. Have the higher ups actually figured this out? As if they care.

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Good grief. Do they also believe in Santa Claus and the Easter bunny?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't know if it's part of the layoffs or it's a McGinn-like move (it feels like the latter), but was announced today Dan Walters is leaving the SacBee after 33 years as the state politics columnist.

Draft saved Draft deleted