1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at MLB.com claim a few

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnoopyBoy, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

All on a foundation of either not valuing the best coverage that's available or deciding that their fan base doesn't value the best coverage that's available.

2. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Jack O'Connell? Holy crap! If I would have thought anyone would be protected by The Firm in times such as this, it would have been him. Good guy, level-headed, and plugged-in. We're all screwed, lads and lassies. I fear the post above about turning it all over to kids is playing out in front of our eyes.

As the events at Newsday showed, and now this, there is no value any more placed on things most of have been raised to believe is important. Real news (not just handouts), solid information, and elegant, clever writing is being squeezed out. Teams and leagues have been totally trying to control the flow of information for years now with their web sites and restrictions on mainstream media, but now they're turning it into a profit center.

Since they figure people will click on their sites no matter what, who cares what blather they're spewing out there as long as they get page views. It's over, folks. Send up the flares. Women, children, and middle-aged male sportswriters first. It was fun while it lasted.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A scant few are finding work, and at decent places. They just aren't over 35.

MLB.com might -- might -- hire someone in the prime of their youth and the vitality of their talents to be a stats stringer. And pay standard chicken feed. The kids are getting the rest of the jobs.

4. SlotDaddy

SlotDaddy New Member

Me too, Jim. What's happening over there?

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Man, my sympathies to those who were victim of the ax. When I was younger, and looking for a baseball gig, I personally emailed every writer I could find across the MLB.com chain. Two of the guys mentioned on the list on Page 1 of this thread wrote back with detailed advice and people to contact. Good men. Thanks to them. And good luck.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Word is the intern total this year will be 10 instead of 33 (three for minor leagues). Which means, I guess, that an intern will rotate among three teams or 20 teams won't have an intern helping. Or something.

7. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

In the past, they've had Chicago interns cover both teams and the Brewers as needed. So you can extrapolate that out and have one person for NY/NY, one for LA/ANA, one for SF/OAK, one for BAL/WAS.....and then five to cover the other 19 teams. Perfect!

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Are you including Pittsburgh with the major league intern coverage or the minor league intern coverage?

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That sucks, I interned there and it was a great program. I know the pay had increased last year, why not just cut it back or make there be some sort of rent/living stipend?

10. harbinger

harbinger Member

Smart strategy. Hire talented, well known, well connected writers to start in order to drive up traffic to your site and steal it away from other sites. When the site has been established and traffic steady, dump those higher paid writers and replace them with cheaper alternatives.

Those at ESPN.com should take note. A few years from now ...

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I've never understood why they take on the expense of travel when they have people in every MLB city.

Now, more than ever, there are qualified stringers who could pick up any extra work that's needed.

12. leftcoastscribe

leftcoastscribe New Member

Because it's pretty damn difficult to be cover a beat just doing home games.

Draft saved Draft deleted