1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at MLB.com claim a few

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnoopyBoy, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's a great time in the business to be inexperienced and know nothing.

2. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

My guess is you'll be waiting a long time.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I would say the two of those are mutually exclusive. You can be inexperienced and still be a good writer and good reporter. Shit, Graham Bensinger is one of the best interviewers I've heard, and he's what, 19, 20?

4. Hookem06

Hookem06 New Member

Justice was a class guy. I spoke to him at a couple job fairs last year. I hope he lands on his feet.

5. jeff.pearlman

jeff.pearlman Member

This isn't an original thought, but I think it applies to many of the situations right now: Too many corporations—MLB included, I'd guess—use a poor economy as an excuse to hand employees their papers. MLB is making tons upon tons of money but who would complain about layoffs at a time like this, when it's happening to everyone?

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

MLB's bean counters, and I am close to one, are not losing their jobs. That's for sure.

7. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I respectfully disagree.
    It's not a great time in the business for anyone. experienced, inexperienced, old, young, everyone.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Oh, shit, There are two guys on that list who I've worked with and know are good people and good writers.

For one of them I think this is his third layoff. How can good people constantly get screwed like this?

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I still support the sport, warts and all. This, I don't. MLB.com makes good money. Unless they want to pump more money into MLB Network. Then again, even that wouldn't make sense.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Exactly. It's almost like "hey, everybody else is getting away with this....maybe we can jump on the bandwagon, too."

If MLB has decided it can produce a product without these people, then their business must have been horribly mismanaged in the first place.

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

It really does stink. I spoke to my good friend, Jack O'Connell, and he has been through this before, like two years ago when the Hartford Courant did it. This one was a surprise, though, for the reasons others have said here. I just hope Jack can find something. He's as good a reporter as I know and deserves better.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Bingo.
    They do this because they think they can get away with it, not because they need to do it to save their businesses.

Draft saved Draft deleted