1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at AL.com?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 18, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No, you missed my point. They'll stop running the results. Or Just run scores. We tried to take calls after our clerks were let go, but it just wasn't possible to take full summaries and get the section out. So we just took a score. Coaches were pissed. And if you take them via email, someone still needs to have time to compile them.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's horseshit. This model is the very worst of all the models. It produces horrendous clickbait, caterwauling in the comments section, mindless blogging...it's the worst option of the bunch.

3. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

I think they will mostly be compiling scores. From what I am told, they will staff a few key games in each market each Friday night. Seems like an an odd strategy for a company that touts it covers the entire state. Maybe somebody can confirm all of that.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Okay, I see. That's a terrible situation. I'm sure the coaches - and parents - are pissed. You got put in an impossible situation.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it didn't last too long, but one coach told a co-worker he didn't want to take the summary because he just wanted to get back to watching TV.

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

You mean Natalie Williams, who got married after a very, very quick courtship and has changed her Twitter handle, her byline and all references on her website except the domain name (nataliepierre.com).
    It's almost as if she's trying to get Google and others to forget that she's a convicted plagiarist.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Wow.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What does throwing talent (and payroll) of a sinking ship to keep it afloat a few quarters longer have to do with "clickbait" and all that other nonsense you posted?

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It doesn't help by getting rid of one's best most popular veteran reporters/editors.

10. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Who exactly would that be?

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. busch

busch Member

Draft saved Draft deleted