1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs at AL.com?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

News. Barnett Wright, a highly-regarded veteran and senior writer, was shown the door.

2. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Yeah, that's not accurate.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

What part in inaccurate?

4. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

That AL.com doesn't employ an African-American reporter. You can't even say the Bham News doesn't employ one either because I'm pretty sure Gary at least is based out of Birmingham.

Is it still noteworthy that the newsside of the Bham News doesn't employ an African-American reporter? Sure, if that's true. But you can see that there's a pretty big difference between saying a massive statewide organization like AL.com doesn't employ an African-American reporter versus what the truth is (or might be)?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yes, you are correct. I don't know about the situation statewide with AL.com but I am 110 percent about Advance Publications letting go its only African American news reporter in Birmingham.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What a shitshow Advance is. It'll run the whole operation into the ground and walk away with it smoldering.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

If it's like most places, they'll just have to stop taking the calls. No way you can put out a section and take the volume of calls most papers get during prep season. They might ask them to try, but it ain't gonna work. Trust me on this. I've been through it.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What's strange is that AL.com is hiring while firing, too.
    I know another guy who's leaving his paper to join that staff.

9. Columnist Mark McCarter was one of those let go.

I feel kind of sick about that.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

If they stop taking calls, how do they get their results, email? I actually prefer email but most people call and it's hectic while trying to write a gamer, lay out pages, post stuff in the web, tweet and Facebook.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Letting veterans go .... Hmmm. Still disagree with Fredrick that that one paper is doing cartwheels getting rid of the veterans? This business is a disgrace. It's getting what it deserves ... extinction!

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Extinction is coming regardless. What these places are doing is just strategically delaying it for as long as possible. Little different than tossing ballast off a sinking ship.

Draft saved Draft deleted