1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs and buyouts at The Seattle Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kolchak, Dec 18, 2015.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

From the story: There will be "fewer layers of editing."

Yeah, that always ends well.

Doc Holliday and jr/shotglass like this.
  2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Speaking of layers of editing, unless I missed it, the Seattle Times' own story never says what percentage the newsroom is being cut. Sort of a crucial fact, right? Is it 23 positions out of 200? Or 100? I saw a separate story that said it had 178 newsroom employees, which seems high. If so, it's still a 13 percent cut, which is awful.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Translation: Shove those stories right up on the Interwebs. No proofread necessary or coming.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yup. Very recently I had a freelance gig with a major metro newspaper helping cover an event that ended after the print deadline. In my haste to get done, I used an incorrect stat in my story. The story went straight to the online guy -- who I later found out is not even based in the same state as the newspaper -- and was posted on the website with no editing. When I read it online I immediately saw the error and contacted the SE, who corrected it, but if I hadn't seen it, the wrong numbers would still be up there.

Tweener likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not good when 2016 was a strong year for the U.S. economy as a whole, but advertising revenue plummeted industrywide. It isn't just newspapers, either. As the layoff story noted, Seattle-area TV stations also have made job cuts.

What happens to the media when the economy takes one of its downturns?

6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I don't know how they'll function with 23 fewer bodies. That's a massive hit, unless they had a mass of non-vital positions. I somehow doubt that is the case.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We just had layoffs at my TV station. Another TV station in town is shoving out longtime stalwarts and their huge contracts.

8. Tweener

So this is my biggest issue in this volatile business. Ad revenue has been falling for years and thousands have been laid off for the betterment of the bottom line. How are there still more than just a handful of "huge" contracts in 2017? Wouldn't it be more effective to hire 3-4 good reporters, at a time when newsrooms need all the staffers they can get on such limited budgets?

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Editing must be one of those things that don't make sense.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Because they've been there 15, 20, up to 25 years and those contracts don't get smaller over time.And it's a Gannett/Tegna station that has been the dominant horse in town for three decades.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Because hiring three or four more people might hurt performance bonuses. But the real loss may be the gaping hole in institutional knowledge of the city they've been working in all those years.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  12. Tweener

Indeed. Institutional knowledge is vital to any great publication, and the lack of it has certainly hurt ours. I'm just surprised that with every round of layoffs we hear about these huge salaries, and then we hear about them again the next time and still wonder why the layoffs continue.

Draft saved Draft deleted