1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Layoffs and buyouts at The Seattle Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kolchak, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

The timing couldn't be better. Merry Christmas everyone!

Jim Romenesko has the company e-mail:

Here's an article from The Stranger that says the newsroom budget will be cut by 6%, whatever that means.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it just be newspaper perfect to be told your job was "mission critical" and get denied, then a few weeks later get laid off anyway?

3. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Sports hired two fairly high-salaried employees this summer...Bud Wither's replacement and a columnist replacement for Jerry Brewer.

4. indiehead

indiehead New Member

And Matt Pentz has hardly been well received locally

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What is the existing circulation? The approximate newsroom staffing?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

In other NW newspaper news - the publisher The Eugene Register-Guard hired away from the Oregonian last summer is gone.

In holiday bonus news (Gannett edition) TEGNA employees (TV) get $400 for a bonus. Gannett (newspaper) people get an extra paid day off (which will come in handy when the furloughs are announced).

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Class move for a newspaper asking another paper to out a source.

9. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

The second article I linked counted 202 newsroom employees, but that's just going off of the staff listed on their website.

10. Kolchak

Kolchak Active Member

I went looking for this thread and didn't realize I had created it.

Anyway, it's the holiday season so that means more buyouts and layoffs, according to the Puget Sound Business Journal link there. They don't know how many positions they're cutting, but it'll be more than last year. Their current staff is at 178.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That number seems somewhat robust for a 2016 newsroom not named The New York Times.

I know our once-370 staff was at 128 in South Florida when I left in 2011.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Thirteen weeks of severance max. Pathetic. And I thought getting 26 weeks after 36 years was a little weak. Guess I should have been more grateful.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted