1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Laying off journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UNCGrad, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Sorry it's hit you so hard. Maybe you should consider other career paths in the meantime? Can't hurt to look.

2. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I have

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I have been fortunate to avoid a half-dozen rounds of layoffs (the most recent coming last month).

From March 5 (when we were told there would be layoffs) until March 23 (when I found out I was keeping my job), I applied for about 50 jobs. I got one phone interview (that went nowhere) and two other calls for interviews after I already found out my job was safe.

Your interview rate-per-application really is good. But the number of jobs applied for seems mighty small.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Right now I'm like you. I don't want to read it. I know there are a few people in the business that hate to lay off people. I do respect them. Not the other corporate-speakers.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

That was a reasonable description of a layoff scenario, wrenching and familiar. Giving (potential) candidates lots of notice is ideal, but life often gets in the way of finding a good landing spot: I know a longtime wire editor at a mid-sized paper who just took a gig about 60 miles away to report preps in a two-high school town (not much else) just to stay in the business. Pay cut, lesser job, but too young to tap an IRA and too connected to make a real move.

6. DeskMonkey1

Well, I had to consider geography and, well, a career spent chained to the desk. 2 out of every 3 jobs want strong reporting background. I considered starting a national enquirer type magazine to build my portfolio

7. DeskMonkey1

Got another one today. Go me
    Got another one today

BTExpress and Baron Scicluna like this.
  8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Another interview? Good luck, Monkey.

One thing on interviews, you can't be humble. They are looking for reasons why you might not be a good fit or why the other candidate(s) may have an edge.

So if they ask about reporting skills and you mostly work desk, you talk about the stories you have written, the work you do fixing holes in other's work, the judgment you use in compiling stories off the wire. Don't say, "I really don't do much reporting."

If they ask about design skills and you lay out the scoreboard page, you talk about how you take the complicated data and fashion in and display it in ways to engage the readers. Maybe you use art as well or design graphics. Don't say, "Design isn't really my forte. (Which I did and it almost scuttled me)."

If they ask about marketing and you are a reporter, you talk about how you build your brand on Twitter, engage fans with video, help with a (pro/college/prep) webcast. Maybe you connected with some advertising folks in a promotion. Don't say, "Oh, as a journalist I don't get involved in marketing."

Hell, if they ask if you have experience with brain surgery, tell them you've always been fascinated with the human brain and are planning to go to medical school as soon as you get your AA certificate.

Bottom line, find a way to showcase your experience and talent in the area (that you may not even realize) without lying about it.

9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

"You're hired!" -- The Plain Dealer

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    Ace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted