1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lawrence Journal-World sports opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Scott_Tittrington, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Shaggy, I'm not saying circulation equals quality. But from the desk a couple of nights a week to SE is a major jumps and more props to Scott for making it.
    It's a great promotion and wish him well, but it is also a bit of a rarity.
    Zoinks!

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Scott's also been an SE before, and it sounds like he was in Lawrence for reasons other than just the circulation size (quick Google says he's a KU alum). And he was at one of the Green Bay papers, can't remember if it was the Gannett paper or its old competitor.

3. I'm guessing George won't be weighing in on this one.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I don't think George or Scott should weigh in on this one. Both of those guys know they have the skills to do their respective jobs.
    Bravo for not jumping into the fray here.
    Though, I gotta admit I love reading when less mature reporters get on here or any message board (like Havel) and just let it rip on how little class they have.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Big-time SE (and former peer) here, and the paper/Web site think big for the size. Cute small town, too, and not too far from KC.

6. Scott_Tittrington

Scott_Tittrington New Member

Just got back from a quick overnight visit to St. Louis, so I'll address a few things for those who care ...

1. I just found out when I came in for my shift tonight that my position here at the LJW has already been filled. They offered it to Matt Tait, currently the sports editor who oversees three of our weeklies and has been a candidate for full-time jobs here in the recent past. He's a good guy and will do a good job. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up about it, but the fact they moved this fast surprised me as well — sports editor Tom Keegan sent the staff an e-mail about it this weekend.

2. Thanks to those who have offered their congrats and support. I'm excited to be moving on to a new challenge and running my own staff again. As for the relative merits of the two papers, I'll let others wage that debate, simply adding that I've loved my two years in Lawrence and am looking forward to another good experience in Florida.

3. Wicked had it half right — I spent 2 1/2 years at KU, but I'm actually an alum of BYU thanks to putting in my final 2 1/2 years there. That means getting the best of both worlds — KU in basketball, BYU in football — but still living with the fact that neither has won a national championship since 1988.

7. Charlie Hustle

Charlie Hustle New Member

Congrats to Scott on the new gig. We've crossed paths a few times and I know he's good people, so if there's an opening on his staff down the road, people shouldn't be afraid to jump on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted