1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Law School Lamentation: Jobs are Scarce, like everywhere else

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 7, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'm studying for the bar right now and let me tell you it's rough out there. I am at the 3rd best law school in my state and I can probably count the number of people who have real lawyering jobs, including public interest jobs, on two hands.

I have friends at the other two law schools in the state and they are telling me much the same. One, at the 2nd highest ranked school, got lucky and caught on with a judge to clerk for a year or two, and the other, at the top school in the state, who's performed better in law school than probably 95% of people in the state (but has little in the way of personality) is still unemployed. His school reports 80% employment in their stats, but they are juking the stats pretty badly from what I hear.

That said, I'm still glad I came and I'm going to be just fine. I've got several lines in the water including the option to bring in my own business and "eat what I kill." I don't think everyone, especially those who go to law school, have the personality to do that, though.

2. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

I have four friends who are former sportswriters who just finished their 1L year. One is transferring from the University of Michigan to Chicago, meaning he killed it. One is transferring from the Georgetown to Yale, meaning he really killed it. A third just made law review at the University of Virginia, also killed it. A fourth made law review at a school that has a very small law review (and is very private, so I won't give a hint).

Waylon is one of the transfers, incidentally.

Sportswriters apparently make pretty good law students.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Life is indeed simpler in Buttfuck, Egypt.

If my wife and I want to move there, will you help us land jobs?

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Worth noting that teaching is a profession that is currently impacted everywhere, from small towns to large cities.

5. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

This is a bit inappropriate IMO. Just sorta jerky. The post commented on made a very fair point - that competition is always going to be considerably greater in places like NYC.

And you don't do much for the NYC rep to essentially term everyplace else Butt#### Egypt.

Said as a native New Yorker, incidentally.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That explains a lot.

7. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Still owe you that beer next time you're in town Slap.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry but Rick's tone annoyed me. It's not easy, or even possible, for everyone to get up and move to wherever the jobs are. A lot of people have little choice but to try and ride it out in a certain area of the country, regardless of the job market there.

And I'm not even originally from metro NY. I'm a poser!!! :D

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'd be glad to. You wouldn't need much help, this particular BF,E has an unemployment rate under 2 percent and employers are fighting hard to attract any employee they can get.

Housing might be a bit of a problem, though. Hope you don't mind living in your car or maybe at a campground.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's *always* a choice. A lot of people limp through life unhappy and blaming fate for their inability to make tough choices.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

And sometimes people try to feel all smart and superior when they are just talking out their ass.
    What happens, most of the time, is a false choice. An illusion that gives people the appearance of a choice, when, in fact, it isn't.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes & no.

People in your industry know better than anyone else that you have to be willing to move cities in order to move up.

I've moved three times for jobs, and each move was over 1,000 miles.

Sometimes you have to do it.

Right now, it's hard to find work anywhere, so I wouldn't advise someone to move without work lined up, but if you're unemployed and living in an area that is severely depressed (think Detroit, or any other town who's lost their main employer) then you have to seriously consider it.

Draft saved Draft deleted