1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Law School Lamentation: Jobs are Scarce, like everywhere else

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 7, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why have we not heard from Waylon? I could be mistaken but he's in law school, isn't he?

2. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Waylon's been so unfairly beat up by one or two Waylon-obsessed posters that I'm frankly surprised he still participates at all.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes, poor Waylon, he's done nothing at all to bring it on himself.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The mother of one of the boys on the baseball team I manage is in that situation. She was going gangbusters during the real estate boom, and now it's tumbleweeds. She's having another baby, so she's going to wind down her practice and call it a day. However, it was nice of her to sponsor two baseball teams this year anyway.

Also, a friend of mine sold his firm to a larger, out-of-town firm that is hiring aggressively. However, they are hiring ONLY lawyers who have something like $1 mil in business in pocket when they walk in. Basically, they're taking advantage of all the large firms here who have cut partners. The cuts haven't come necessarily because business is bad. It's because in so many areas now, "success" is measured by profits-per-partner list, a metric that has had as an insidious effect on law firms as the U.S. News listings have on colleges.

5. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Actually, the effort you've made essentially asking him to post on this thread probably goes a long way toward demonstrating that regardless of what Waylon posts, some folks on this board are always looking to pick a fight with him and make it personal.

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I liked this, too:

sorry ucacm if I'm taking it out of context, but that's what I would have been. Don't know what to do? Stumped for a career? Aw screw it, I'll just to law school.

Thank goodness I thought better of going to law school. Looking back, it would have been a huge waste of time and money.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It was a joke, maybe he shouldn't take himself so seriously.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

It's final exam time. I'm sure he's had his nose buried in a whole stack of books.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm not that old (i'm 37) but my sense of passion and excitement has dulled over the years. i look at people with intense passion for the law and wonder about their sense of reality. people in this profession talk about it being a higher calling. i understand their point - we're defenders of the innocent! we fight for the unprivileged! - but it's a job. the job is ok. not great but it's ok. i work hard. sometimes i have good days. other times the days suck. i don't know, maybe i'm a bad person and i should give up my job to work in legal services but i don't see that happening.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I feel the same way about journalism. Must be us.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I think both professions, journalism and practicing law, lend themselves to burnout. I think burnout was a main part of why I came to law school. I'm still glad I came, though. I feel like I'm better positioned for the future, whatever it might be.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You and Waylon should get a room.

Draft saved Draft deleted