1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Law school advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FileNotFound, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Those Powerscore books use all real questions. A lot of people say there's no reason that anyone should miss a Logic Game question, and that book will get her there. I flubbed a couple of them, though. But it certainly wasn't the book's fault.

I knew right away which section at the test was the practice section, because the Logic Games were like nothing I had even encountered. I basically took the 35 minutes off.

I do recall that the Coke machine was busted at my site, and I had a splitting withdrawal headache by the end. But I finished strong. May have missed just one on the final section.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My mind was properly wired for the logic games questions and I don't think I ever got one wrong, even when my brother was studying for the LSAT when I was in HS. But with repetition, you can basically anticipate what all of the questions will be for each logic games scenario.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Wow.

You might want to consider spending some of your fortune lying down on a couch for a couple hours each week.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Lying down on a couch for a couple hours each week was his option E.

cranberry likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Option X actually.

But you always know the pile on / shots have reached critical mass when 93Devil comes rushin' on in a day later with his water pistols blazing.

I enjoy some of y'all funnin' with me, though. 93Devil told me I need to see a shrink. Too bad I wasn't quick enough on my feet to give him the ole "I'm rubber and you're glue" riposte.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ragu,

When I poke, it's just a joke. No harm intended.

VB

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I got a book and went through it on weekends. I test well and had been doing those logic puzzles for years so I didn't have to learn that stuff.

I would recommend against it unless she can make top 10. If she really wants to do it and doesn't make the top 10, she should go to a school in the area she wants to work. People have little understanding of how good a school is if it not a top school or local.

Finally, don't eat a greasy Dunkin Donuts sausage, egg, and cheese before taking the LSAT.

8. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

Little off the subject, but a nugget about how intense was our bar exam, I'm in a hall with about 300 people typing our exams and in the middle of the morning session (3 day exam), one lady was apparently pregnant but she throws up about 2 rows behind me and everyone just continues with the exam while the custodian mops up with mop and bucket, like nothing happened.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

People who have never been in the thick of this world don't realize how important this actually is. This isn't just Harvard and Yale people waving their schlongs around about it. The employers come to you. You get an on-campus interview with pretty much any law firm you want, at least the ones who hire a year ahead of time. I think I had 21 on-campus interviews (again, not due to merit. It's automatic. No pre-selection) and eight or nine "call-back" interviews, then two offers before I called off the other dogs. I might have gotten one or two more. I'll never know.

That's how important this stupid little test is to get ready for.

(This is assuming you have an interest in working at a big firm. That said, other jobs are easier to get out of those schools, as well. And if you don't want to go to one of those schools, well, every LSAT point she can squeeze out of the stupid little test is basically another few grand in her pocket in scholarship money.)

10. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

The reality of the "big firm" experience is that you get a wonderful interview, call-back interview(free flight, hotel, etc.), unbelievable summer internship (80% salary, 9-6 with cocktail parties/dinners/recreation activities), and then that humongous first year salary offer, then....you actually have to work for that $$. Had you been paying attention during your summer, you realized the attorneys were not working 9-6 and taking weekends off, no they were working long, hard days, 6-6.5 days a week, going hard with no let up in sight.

If that's what one aspires to, great, go get it.

But the trap some of my buddies fell into was they loved the trappings but not the workload and got disillusioned. Some of my friends are still there and are great lawyers. Its a choice.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm watching two different law school/career experiences play out in my circle of family/friends right now. On the one hand is my wife's brother, who went to a semi-Ivy undergrad and then, after a few years, went to a fairly well-regarded (but not Top 10) law school. Now he's pushing 60, is recently an empty-nester ... and he confessed to me that he's cleared about $10K annually these last couple of years. On the other hand is my best friend's soon-to-be-son-in-law, who just finished at some nondescript private school in the Houston area. He's busting his hump to take the bar but has lined up a pretty sweet gig in a petroleum-specialty firm. I doubt he's going to get rich quick, but I bet, for all his modest credentials, he'll be making more than $10K.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

169?

Day-um.

Much respect.

My 163 was good enough if I would have gone that route.

(If you Mar-can't, there's always Mar-Quette)

Draft saved Draft deleted