1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Law & Order/The Wire mashup

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rhody31, Nov 18, 2008.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Sets up the spin-off, nicely

2. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

The way I recall it, Elisabeth Rohm tells McCoy and DA Branch that another gun buy/bust has gone haywire, with shots fired. McCoy asks how the officer is, and Rohm says something like, "She's fine, but the two suspects are in the morgue." And Branch says something like, "Well, at least we don't have to worry about prosecuting them now."

I didn't think that the cop in the incident was supposed to be the female officer who had just testified, but another one altogether. I took it to be a final reminder that these gun-buy-busts are inherently dangerous, and putting away the people responsible for one of them that went bad isn't going to solve that larger problem.

3. Denis O'Hare played an acquitted vigilante twice -- once as the suburban militia leader and the other as the guy in the neighborhood group who cripples a crack addict and, at one point, threatens Ben Stone from the witness chair. As has been said, he also played a schizophrenic murderer who defends himself in court,
    Sorvino's name was Phil Cerreta.
    I thought bringing Paul Robinette back as a defense attorney was a terrific move.
    My favorite Ben Stone Era episode was the one where Cerreta gets shot during the investigation of some drug cartel-related murders, and it ends with all of the witnesses being killed. All the DA's are in Schiff's office when he gets the call. Finally, Stone asks him what happened to the young daughter of the original victim and Schiff says she was picked up at school by her uncle.
    "She doesn't have an uncle," says Stone.
    The look on Schiff's face is chilling.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Best ending ever. I really dug Moriarity as the lead ADA, he wasn't a particularly likable character, he was kind of a slimy prick, but was "our" slimy prick. His clashes with Robinette were some of the best the show has ever had.

5. RossLT

RossLT Guest

They had one episode where they touched on a controversial subject and the ending was "we the jury find the defendant...." and then the end credits. Never have I been more angry at a ending of a show in my life.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Without a Trace has done that a couple of times, once when a black mother and a white mother were about to find out which daughter was found, and another one when it didn't let us know if someone was executed or not.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I hate that shit, you are a TV show, your job is to entertain me and part of the entertainment is a resolution.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A classic.

You know it's coming . . . and it's classic, anyway.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think in those cases, a resolution is beside the point. The lead-up is the message (that we shouldn't give missing whites a higher priority than missing blacks; that it's not so hard to imagine lots of people being wrongly executed.)

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I can see that. There isn't much that L&O does that I have not liked. I have never seen Without a Trace.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Once everyone started sleeping with each other on Without a Trace, I checked out.

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

My mom claims the one reason she can't get into L&O is that the episodes are entirely self contained and we know very little of the private lives of the characters. That is part of the reason I like the show so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted