1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Law & Order only to be on TNT?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lantaur, May 8, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It was the greatest show and it actually, unlike many shows, survived and even thrived despite cast changes.

But it probably had its "jump the shark moment" at some point where every single street crime seemed to have some sort of corporate tie and McCoy turned into the Rev. Jerry Falwell.

It also didin't help to have the wife from Footloose trying to take over from Adam Schiff (sp?). I thought the best cast was the third one -- Logan, Briscoe, Stone and Robinette with Schiff.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

My top casts would be:

1. Logan, Briscoe, Stone, Kincaid.
    2. Logan, Briscoe, McCoy, Kincaid.
    3. Logan, Briscoe, Stone, Robinette
    4. Logan, McGreevey, Stone, Robinette
    5. Briscoe, Curtis, McCoy, Ross
    6. Logan, Ceretta, Stone, Robinette
    7. Briscoe, Green, McCoy, Southerlyn

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Orbach slept-walk through that role. I guess Wolf saw something in him, tho.

4. Logan, Briscoe, McCoy, Kincaid.

That's mine. No cast without Claire qualifies.

5. dooley_womack1

I thought McCoy's best pairing was with Harmon. Like Carey Lowell, she tried to check McCoy on a few occasions. Unlike Lowell, she didn't sound whiny doing it and carried herself like she could hold her own with McCoy.

The jump-the-shark moment was when Southerlyn came out as a lesbian in the final moments of her tenure. If not that, then when they killed off Parisse (not that she was any good; it just smelled of "oops, we didn't think much about how she would be written out").

Bottom line: I would still be watching it if it were on Wednesdays.

6. zagoshe

Somehow I knew you'd have a crush on the most hysterically liberal character of them all.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

I thought Harmon's character ruined McCoy. The dynamic between McCoy and Kincaid/Ross was that McCoy would bend every rule and do everything possible to win a case and Kincaid/Ross would try to serve as the voice of reason and ethics. Harmon switched the equation. She was the one who wanted to hang em high and get the stiffest possible sentence with McCoy and Nora serving as the voice of reason. She changed Jack's character and he never has had the same bravado since. She cut off his balls and took them with when she left the show.

8. zagoshe

Not to mention the fact that he was boning Kincaid and that created something a little extra between them.

9. Somehow, I knew you'd turn this into a political thread. (Schiff was the most liberal of the characters, BTW)
    Surprised there's not more love for Capt. Donnie ("I can't stand my mother-in-law either, but I'm learning to love her pot roast.") Cragen. Great faceoffs with Dzundza in the corrupt-cops ep. Maybe it's because he's still around on SVU.
    Angie Harmon is the single worst actress in the history of that program. Nobody's close.

10. zagoshe

Angie Harmon was horrible and I thought the blonde chick was bad too -- and not because she was a "lesbian" so don't go there -- and I could live without the new cop -- the one who sometimes plays a mob boss in movies (like Midnight Run, for instance). He's good in movies, not so good on this show.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

I like Cragen, but Van Buren holds her own pretty well.

12. dooley_womack1

I'll disagree on Harmon and leave it at that. I was never a big Kincaid fan. Heck, Olivet had more presence than her.

Draft saved Draft deleted