1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Law is coming to KC..

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, Jul 23, 2006.

1. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

13-3? ??? Are you aware that he never was better than 10-6 with the Jets, despite a 5-0 start in 2004?

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

What does his past have to do with the potential this year?

When [enter coach here] loses, it's the players. When Herm loses, he's the worst coach. Ever.

Sun 9/10 Cincinnati 1:00 pm
    Sun 9/17 at Denver 4:15 pm
    bye
    Sun 10/1 San Francisco 1:00 pm
    Sun 10/8 at Arizona 4:05 pm
    Sun 10/15 at Pittsburgh 4:15 pm
    Sun 10/22 San Diego 1:00 pm
    Sun 10/29 Seattle 1:00 pm
    Sun 11/5 at St. Louis 1:00 pm
    Sun 11/12 at Miami 1:00 pm
    Sun 11/19 Oakland 1:00 pm
    Thu 11/23 Denver 8:00 pm
    Sun 12/3 at Cleveland 1:00 pm
    Sun 12/10 Baltimore 1:00 pm
    Sun 12/17 at San Diego 4:05 pm
    Sat 12/23 at Oakland 8:00 pm
    Sun 12/31 Jacksonville 1:00 pm

games vs 06 playoff teams: cincy, denv, pitt, seattle, denv, jville
    cincy is down, figure a split with denv, and jville probably won't be as good.
    If Chiefs can beat Seattle at home ...

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'd love 13-3,  but that ain't happening with KC's schedule this year.. vs. Seattle and Jacksonville, at Pittsburgh, not to mention the regular division games... I don't see that happening. I'm thinking 11-5 would be a great year.

4. suburbanite

Whoa. YOU'RE the one who keeps trumpeting what a great job he's done, and now his past isn't relevant? Make up your mind.

Herm always loses at least one or two games a year he shouldn't, due to clock mismanagement and other gameday coaching mistakes.

5. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

not what i meant.
    when you say he's 'never been better than 10-6' im not exactly sure how that means he'll never win 13 games in a regular season. that logic makes 0 sense.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oz, though I hate to dig at a point made by a fellow Steelers fan, not many teams could lose a player like Larry Johnson without a huge dropoff. The Chiefs really are a good fit for Herm Edwards' coaching style, but that means Johnson carrying the load.

7. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Oh boy, another Herm thread, where to begin?

What are the responsibilities of a head coach?

Hire a staff - Herm hired Paul Hackett, bad move.

Have your team mentally ready to play - the Jets made many many mental mistakes.

Outscheme your opponent - the Jets never won a game under Herm where the reason was "Herm really out thought the opposing coach".

Run the game on the sideline - bad use of timeouts here is legendary.

Work the clock - 'nuff said.

Any coach that intentionally LOSES yardage before a last second field goal that is just at the edge of his kickers range doesn't know what he's doing.

Herm is a good quote and treats writers well. That's why he gets whatever praise he's received. As a football coach he is helpless.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Thomson... you are the first one I have seen rail on that Pennington kneeldown to "set up" the field goal like I have since the numbnut did that.

Edwards, on top of everything else, will make the Chiefs a lower-scoring team.

13-3? Zero way.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Trust me, I understand that. The reason I brought it up is because Larry Johnson, while great, started nine games last season. Does he wear down in the 10th, 11th or 12th game? When those carries add up, does LJ lose that burst? We haven't seen LJ play a full season, and if Priest isn't there, there's room to doubt he can handle the load.

I mean, if AF can start threads about who's going to win the Super Bowl and start predicting 13-3 seasons for the Chiefs in a "weak" division that had the Broncos make the AFC title game, then I should be able to turn a cautious eye toward LJ and wonder whether a season's worth of hits takes a toll on his body. The Chiefs will be very, very tough, presuming Johnson can carry the team.

10. BostonCeltz

BostonCeltz Guest

That's the truth.

11. suburbanite

As bad clock management goes, this is pretty amazing. It was overshadowed by the fact the Jets lost their top two QBs to injury that day. The Jets and Jaguars were tied at 20, and the Jags had the ball in the last minute of regulation.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20050925_JAC@NYJ

2-7-JAX 29 :)46) (Shotgun) 7-B.Leftwich pass to 86-B.Jones to JAX 34 for 5 yards (24-T.Law).
    Timeout #2 by NYJ at 00:38.

OK, I can live with a timeout there.

3-2-JAX 34 :)38) (Shotgun) 28-F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 36 for 2 yards (56-J.Abraham, 26-E.Coleman).
    Timeout #3 by NYJ at 00:33.
    1-10-JAX 36 :)33) (Shotgun) 7-B.Leftwich pass incomplete to 18-M.Jones.

WTF? Well, what actually happened was that Taylor wasn't initially given the first down. The refs called for a measurement, but before they stopped the clock to bring the chain gang on the field, Herm called timeout. Which was incredibly dumb, considering the measurement would be a 'free' timeout of sorts, plus most coaches would have waited TO SEE IF IT WAS FOURTH DOWN before calling a timeout. Instead, Herm gave Jax a free timeout as it continued its drive, but fortunately for him, the Jags only got to their own 44 before punting.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Point taken. And the best reason I've seen on this thread why the Chiefs won't go 13-3? A_F thinks they will. That's enough for me. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted