1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Law is coming to KC..

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, Jul 23, 2006.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It wasn't a product of teams testing him. The Jets' defense spent so much of every game on the field because they couldn't move the ball on offense. That for one thing, increased his playmaking chances. Another result of that is that they were playing a lot of zone defense. Whoever said that a lot of those picks "were right place right time," has it right. The guy has great instincts. It's what makes him a top 5, maybe top 3 corner, albeit one who is getting older and may lose it all at once. QBs wouldn't think they were throwing on him last year, because they'd be facing a fairly well disguised zone, but he has such great field awareness and knows which balls to break on and which not to.

2. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Good get. Why not?
    Probably overpaid, but who cares.

Chiefs are playoff bound.

3. rolling

rolling Member

The bottom line has to be the assumption by the Chiefs that:
    Ty Law > Lenny Walls

If that holds true, the Chiefs are improved and one step closer to the playoffs, which eluded them by a tiebreaker loss to the Steelers last season. Personally, I think they win the division at 11-5.

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Herm proved in NY that if he has a team with veteran leaders and a foundation built by someone else, he will be successful for awhile, but successful at the level of second-round playoff appearances and the like [which obviously is better than what Vermeil did]. So with that in mind, my guess is they go 10-6 and lose in the second round, while Herm gives some great SportsCenter moments along the way.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If all goes right, yeah. I mean, Priest Holmes might be done for the season, so if anything happens to Larry Johnson, the Chiefs might be toast having to ask Trent Green to carry the team.

And as we all know, a defense is almost always so much better with an efficient offense that can run the ball, move the chains and milk the clock. Like what the Chiefs can do with Johnson.

6. rolling

rolling Member

Vermeil got them to the second round in 2003. Of course they got a first round bye...but nonetheless, it was still the second round.

7. suburbanite

True, but Herm did win three playoff games. Of course, he never got a first-round bye.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Actually, he only won two. Well, not really. Well, sort of.

Jets beat the Colts (FRAUDS!!!) in Jan 2003 and the Chargers in Jan 2004. But really, they didn't beat the Chargers, the Chargers beat themselves.

Then the Jets beat the Steelers twice in the next round, but lost anyway. :D

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

1. Paul Krause - 81
    2. Emlen Tunnell - 79
    3. Rod Woodson - 71
    4. Dick Lane - 68
    5. Ken Riley - 65
    6. Ronnie Lott - 63
    7. Dave Brown - 62
    7. Dick LeBeau - 62
    9. Emmitt Thomas - 58
    10. Mel Blount - 57
    10. Bobby Boyd - 57
    10. Johnny Robinson - 57
    10. Everson Walls - 57
    10. Eugene Robinson - 57
    15. Lem Barney - 56
    15. Pat Fischer - 56
    17. Darrell Green - 54
    17. Willie Brown - 54
    19. Jack Butler - 52
    19. Bobby Dillon - 52
    19. Jimmy Patton - 52
    19. Mel Renfro - 52
    19. Larry Wilson - 52
    19. Eric Allen - 52

10. suburbanite

Actually, it was Jan. 2005 when they beat SD, but it WAS only two victories. I must have lost track while I was hanging out in the hallway waiting to talk to Herm.

Can't wait 'til Herm resigns in a few years and takes the job he's really suited for--hosting Around the Horn instead of Andy Pettitte Tony Reali.

11. rolling

rolling Member

Didn't they beat the Chargers in Jan. 2005? I don't think they made the 2003 (season) playoffs, which was played in Jan. 04. I believe the six were: Colts, Pats, Chiefs, Ravens, Titans and Broncos.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They sucked in '03.

Draft saved Draft deleted