1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Law/graduate school - repairing your GPA

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wonkintraining, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Hey, not sure if anyone here has left the business and gone back to school, but I was thinking about it myself. Hope that doesn't offend anyone - just may be ready for a change.

My problem is that I only got a 3.3. I know I could have done better, but I was busting my butt in two majors. Anyway, a lot of the law/medical/business schools I'd want to shoot for don't allow GPAs that low.

Do you guys know if you can go back and take classes at another school and "repair" your GPA to make yourself a better candidate for postgraduate work? Hopefully someone on here knows this.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's cheaper to pay a hacker to alter your transcripts.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

The school should have a situation where you can be accepted but must maintain a specific GPA for full admission into the program.

Many programs also are willing to look at your professional experience when considering admission.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Many schools would look at a non-trad with a 3.3.

See if there are different requirements for returning professionals.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Probably not worth it. If you were a 3.0 with a bachelor's, you'd have to be a 4.0 for four years to get to a 3.5. And college is a hella lot more expensive than it was just 10 years ago.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Do they have the same standards for those taking night classes? Could you maybe take a couple night/weekend law classes, boost your GPA and get in full time that way?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Do some school-by-school research as well to find out more specific information about what schools you can get into as you are. And remember, when in doubt most will try to help you. Grad school ain't cheap and they want your money.

I'm starting a grad program this summer and I know it has helped me to remember that they want something from me, too. I didn't have to repair my GPA, but I did have to take prerequisites, which I am working on now.

The master's program I'm going into has a scholarship that I would qualify for if I keep my GPA up. So, after over 10 years since I had last walked into a college classroom, I was back in school this fall, taking two classes while working a full-time job and knowing that a big chunk of scholarship money was on the line if I didn't get A's in both.

Now that was motivation.

8. As was noted higher up in the thread, non-traditional students often do have an advantage as far as not being required to hold the same GPA as "traditional" matriculants for two main reasons: first, life experience does count for making a more diverse and interesting student body, and admissions committees often will take that into consideration during their deliberations. Second, nontraditional students often do better in graduate school than their straight from undergrad counterparts, because they know what they are sacrificing to come back to school and know what it means to commit one's self fully to a career. Be sure you make it clear in your application, however, why you are changing directions and that you are wholly committed to your new path. You should not duck responsibility for your less-than-stellar performance as an undergrad (especially if asked), but also highlight how that was the "old" you which has little to do with the new, responsible, successful you.

Another point: when it comes to grades, many schools are most interested in your last two years of school, so if you "straightened out" after sowing some wild oats, that will be weighed into the mix.

Taking additional coursework won't erase the past, and it really depends on the rigor of your additional courses -- for example, when it comes to medical school, enrolling in a formal pre-med prematricuation program (where you're essentially taking the first year of medical school courses) would be seen more favorably than, say, taking a few extra science courses at the local community college. Also, supplementing academic work with experiences relevant to the new field (for med school: shadowing/volunteering in the community for health-related activities) would also be seen positively.

The admissions director of the schools at which you have some interest can often give further insights, and they are accessible, but be sure to have questions that run beyond what can be found on the school's admissions web site, and make sure you don't hit them during admissions crunch time (just after the break would be ok, but as you get into March, things get hairy).

Good luck.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Look at your GPA to see if you excelled in your major, then you can emphasize your major GPA (I did that.) Otherwise, just kill the LSAT (study by making it a second job and not choking).

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

This was my situation close to 20 years ago. My GPA was worse than yours, but I ended up at a small state law school, (from where no Forum letters gets published)
    BUST YOUR ASS AND WALLET on the LSAT prep courses. If you score significantly beyond where your GPA indicates you score, you'll have less problems getting into law school. Impressive work experience between undergrad and grad school is a major bonus for acceptance into MBA programs.

GPAs are never the true measure anyway and everyone knows it. Standardized tests are a better measure.

11. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I got into grad school with a 3.11 and a good GRE score. I also had time in the industry (not much) and solid clips. There are ways to make it work for you.

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I got into grad school, provisionally, with a very, very low (barely-graduating level) undergrad GPA. I did well in my first couple of classes and had the provisionally removed. Ended up with a 4.0 all the way through grad school. I tell my students (I teach journalism at a college now) that I nearly doubled my undergrad GPA in grad school.

Draft saved Draft deleted