1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LaVar Arrington joins Wapo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hoos3725, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

I haven't kept up with Arrington's career since he stopped playing, but can this guy actually make a valuable contribution in the blogging / commentator role in which the Post has hired him?

His recent blog posts have been a little lackluster: "What if Roger Clemens is telling the truth" and "Redskins fans should be excited about this year."

Did the Post hire him just because of his name? I sort of thought that's what separated sports reporting from sports entertainment.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/08/lavar_arrington_joins_washingt.html

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Arrington has a semi-entertaining sports radio show on 106.7 in DC. I think it has ties to the WaPo, but I think Sonner listens to that station a lot more than I do, so he could give a much better answer.

But I think the leap from his talk show to WaPo is not that far at all.

3. VJ

VJ Member

The public doesn't make that distinction anymore. To them, Tim Hasselbeck (or insert random talking head here) on ESPN is the same as their local newspaper's beat reporter.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Where true, this says more about the local beat reporter than anything.

5. eyecu

eyecu Member

I like Arrington on the radio, and Arrington on TV (he has worked with CSN before).

But not so sure about Arrington on the blog yet.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Love me some LaVar. He's good on the radio, but only when he rants. And when he's talking football. Anything else, he comes off a little awkward and uncomfortable.

His WaPo blog will be YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted